Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-07-2021, 03:27 PM
Supporting Member

My wife and I have moved houses at least 15 times in the last 45 years. Lucky enough they were all company paid moves with full service pack, load and unpack by professional movers. Despite that it is still a pot load of work to move. Our first move, everything fit in a body job, but the volume seemed to grow each move. When we moved to this current house it took 8 movers 6 days and two 55' moving vans to move us. We will likely now live here till we are too old to own a standalone house. Since moving into this house 7 years ago we have been downsizing continuously and have sold many tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff, as well as given away and donated about that much again volume wise. We still have a long ways to go.

If I had been doing self moves I would have either moved less or had WAY less stuff. I have no trouble understanding TOU's desire to move less stuff.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-07-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My wife and I have moved houses at least 15 times in the last 45 years. Lucky enough they were all company paid moves with full service pack, load and unpack by professional movers. Despite that it is still a pot load of work to move. Our first move, everything fit in a body job, but the volume seemed to grow each move. When we moved to this current house it took 8 movers 6 days and two 55' moving vans to move us. We will likely now live here till we are too old to own a standalone house. Since moving into this house 7 years ago we have been downsizing continuously and have sold many tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff, as well as given away and donated about that much again volume wise. We still have a long ways to go.

If I had been doing self moves I would have either moved less or had WAY less stuff. I have no trouble understanding TOU's desire to move less stuff.

For year I worked for a big bad oil company and all moves were company paid moves. All we had to do was stay out of the way. Fortunately my move to the Houston area in 1989 was the last move I had to make, even though I changed jobs in that time frame 4 different times while working in the Houston area. We had 4 previous company paid moves to that point.

This last move was on us $$-wise since I've been retired since 2004 (at age 55), and a moving company did it all, and once again we just stayed out of the way. And all of my dies got packed and unpacked in the process, even though we did do a lot of down sizing on other stuff not important to either of us. Some went to a garage sale that was my wife's "one and last time" idea, but she said that in hindsight that that was a mistake. Most not-wanted stuff went to charity if it had value..

But that's just me and the wifey. As I stated earlier, YMMV.....

BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-07-2021, 07:09 PM

Default Duplicate dies

I tend to hang onto my duplicate dies - especially if I have more than one rifle chambered for that cartridge. This lets me leave dies set up for a particular rifle. This keeps me from having to adjust sizing dies to match headspace requirements for each rifle.

Just a thought.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 03-07-2021, 07:28 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
I tend to hang onto my duplicate dies - especially if I have more than one rifle chambered for that cartridge. This lets me leave dies set up for a particular rifle. This keeps me from having to adjust sizing dies to match headspace requirements for each rifle.

Just a thought.

And its an excellent reason to hang onto the "extra" set of dies........

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-07-2021, 08:59 PM

Only moved 6 times, but once that one was a lulu, three houses in three different states in one year. Taxes were fun that year.

I refused once, when they wanted me to move to Singapore when my son was starting his Senior year in high school. And, I didn't want to live outside of the US for any reason, let alone the heat, humidity, cost and population density of Singapore.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

When my second wife and I got married she was renting this place.
A few months later we decided to buy and i told her "I don't want to
move again" IF we buy this place we can remodel it but, I want to
stay here til they bag us up.

We're halfway there, just me and a lil dog now. Been here since Sept '74,
bought it July '75.

She'd been married to a RE salesman and moved often. Bet there's
a dozen places she lived in within 2 miles. 8 within half mile.

I call moving Bullshit!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-08-2021, 05:47 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My wife and I have moved houses at least 15 times in the last 45 years.
We moved often early in marriage and I am probably a bit north of that in 31 years.

Been in this home for the last 8.5 years. Not that it matters much but things change but our kids are all gone now...no more ball games, school concerns etc. Also our home is real pretty and all...just what we always wanted...but we just feel we don't need a 6 bedroom, 5,200' home anymore. (Especially one that we have been blessed to have doubled in value.) Just looking to move out and away a bit, maybe become debt-free in a smaller home with a bit of acreage.
Quote:
Lucky enough they were all company paid moves with full service pack, load and unpack by professional movers.
I wished...sadly never enjoyed that luxury. No worries though.
Quote:
Since moving into this house 7 years ago we have been downsizing continuously and have sold many tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff, as well as given away and donated about that much again volume wise. We still have a long ways to go.
THIS is exactly where I am at...unloaded quite a bit the last 12 months, long ways to go.
Quote:
Thank you Sir, I really appreciate that.

That all said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
I have to admit this makes a bunch of sense, I hadn't thought of that.

Obviously, a few dies isn't going to kill us by any means...lots more and bigger fish to fry. Thanks all!

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 03-09-2021, 03:19 AM

Dean2: If you have noticed lately, most all the companies are out of stock on a whole bunch of reloading dies.
So it might just be a real good idea to hang onto all of your extra dies, either for down the road use or trading material in lean times.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:41 AM
Supporting Member

Yeah Bill, I noticed that too. I don't understand that at all. I was looking for some 9mm & 40 s&w dies...never dreaming they would be non-existent or rediculously priced used. I would have thought the manufactures would be cranking everything up & out. Why aren't they?

Btw, my brother in law in Alberta said he can get what he wants in regards to rifle reloading supplies. (He & his 2 boys have been reloading for years.) I'm not sure how long since he last went shopping though. How is it for you Dean?

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 03-19-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOU View Post
Please excuse my ignorance as I'm about to ask what may seem to be pretty dumb questions...especially here.

So that said, I have ended up with redundant reloading dies in 2 calibers and want to reduce it to 1 of each. If you would be so kind, please help pick one of each and tell me why you would pick it? (FYI: I have all Hornady reloading equipment.) NOT meant to cause any conflicts...just trying to reduce items. Thanks in advance.

17 Hornet:
  • Hornady (2 dies: FULL length)
  • Redding Deluxe (3 dies: full, seating, & neck)
17 Remington
  • Forester (2 die: bench rest set)
  • RCBS (FL)
  • Lee
Redding and Forester. Good brands and a full set.