Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Default Cooper M38 question

The first M38 I owned (originally a 22 Hornet) had a small flip up mechanism to aid in loading a cartridge. My current (new style) M38 in 20 VarTarg does not have this mechanism.

Was this mechanism peculiar to the early M38 action or to the rimmed Hornet case? Can someone with a new style Cooper Hornet tell me whether the action now includes the spring loaded flip up mechanism on the floor of the receiver?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Supporting Member

Default Cooper

Gary,

My Model 38 17 AB has same mechanism. I believe it is only found in Coopers chambered for rimmed cartridges. My thoughts are it is to align cartridge with bore. The spring loaded ramp compensates for the height of the rim. Bob
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 AM

Default Cooper M38

Hi Bob,

Do you know if your M38 is a new style action or an older one. If it is the new style then that answers my question.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 06-14-2010, 02:13 AM

I have a very early 17CCM with the mech....
Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

are you guys talking about the ejector assist mechinism. that's the spring i just replaced on my model 38 17 v-raptor. it only pops up when you open the bolt, it catches the rim and flips the case out.

bob
Old 06-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Supporting Member

Gary I have a Cooper M38 Varminter in 22 K-Hornet and a 218 Bee that has the mechanism your speaking about, but I don’t know if either one is the new Mod.38 since I bought both of them used.
How does one distinguish between the old and new Mod.38’s?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in VA View Post

How does one distinguish between the old and new Mod.38’s?
It is my understanding that the old style M38 had the ejector assist thingy you all are talking about. From what I understand they are not in use on the new M38's, at least the 3 I have dont include the assist. The differences in the bolts between the new and old are pretty easy to see. Here the old bolt is on the bottom and the new bolt on top. They redesigned the new 38 to take higher pressures as the story goes, so they could chamber the fireballs, etc. The recoil lugs are larger and the bolt groves are wider and deeper in the new one. The new one is also 3/8 to 1/2 inch longer. These are from my rifles. The old style was a 22K hornet, now my 17AH. I picked up the rifle from a friend whom had it for a while. The top bolt is from my 221FB Montana Varminter which is only 2 years old.

Last edited by Furhunter; 06-14-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 AM

My M38 Classic in 22 Hornet has the loading assist feature. I believe it is the new model, purchased new in 2001. I think it is the new model, since the bolt lugs are the same length as the bolt in my M21 varminter in 221FB.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 AM

Default Model 38 load assist

Gary,

I just purchased a new Jackson Varmint model 38 in 22 Hornet. It does have the load assist mechanism. My understanding is that it is for the rimmed cartridges. Unfortunately, it does not help with hollow points like the Berger 40gr varmint. The batch I loaded for testing would not feed if you just layed them in the tray and attempt to close the bolt. Those bullets do have a pretty large opening though, and catch on the chamber opening. It works fine for BlitzKings and plastic tipped bullets.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Default M38 Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bic View Post
Gary,

I just purchased a new Jackson Varmint model 38 in 22 Hornet. It does have the load assist mechanism. My understanding is that it is for the rimmed cartridges. Unfortunately, it does not help with hollow points like the Berger 40gr varmint. The batch I loaded for testing would not feed if you just layed them in the tray and attempt to close the bolt. Those bullets do have a pretty large opening though, and catch on the chamber opening. It works fine for BlitzKings and plastic tipped bullets.
There is the answer to my question which I did word all that well. If the new M38 still uses the load assist mechanism with the rimmed cases then it is peculiar only to the rimmed cartridges.

Thanks Bic and to all who supplied information.

Gary