Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-18-2015, 12:29 AM

Default AMAX on varmints....Anybody tried them?

Anybody using the 52 grain AMAX on varmints, colony or other? They shoot nothing short of phenomenal in one rifle of mine, so much so I am considering just loading all my current empty brass with them and be done with it. I have used some AMAX's before in larger (260 Rem) on some groundhogs and they performed like I would have expected a VMAX to perform as far as explosiveness and in one of the GHD descriptions, "opened them up from butthole to ear bone". The old Speer Gold Match and the HORNADY Match HP from the 70's used to be darn good but I haven't shot much of any bullets other than VMAX and BlitzKings for a good while. Supply of the AMAX's is good and price is within .60/box of VMAX yet $3-4 less than BlitzKings and BT's. With the way they work at the bench I was just wondering if some of you folks had tried them. GHD
Old 02-18-2015, 01:29 AM

Default A Max

GHD, I shot some prairie dogs last summer with 53gr A Max's in a 22 Tomcat and they were great. I shoot a lot of 75gr A Max's in a 22BR and they are outstanding. John Kruzan
Old 02-18-2015, 01:42 AM

John, I'm not pushing them hard. They are running 3360ish (borrowed the "ish" from montdoug) in the PPC and it absolutely sticks them in the same little ragged spot! That rifle does the same thing with 50 VMAX, 52 grain Speer BTHP. Just thinking the AMAX would be accurate and devastating when it got there. According to your observation I was right. GHD
Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Supporting Member

I shot the 6mm AMax last year on Groundhogs. Well past 500yds they expanded reliably.

Adam
Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

I shoot 52gr Amax out of both a .223 and a .22-250 at prairie dogs.

Hit one with the .22-250 once at about 180 yards and we had a hard time finding the pieces. Just grenades the little sucker. Much the same with the .223 with maybe a little less aerobatics.

In a nutshell, they work great! Probably my favorite .224 cal bullet along with the Nosler 55gr BT.

And not to nit pick but I beleive the 53gr offering is a VMax.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM

Default A max

The 53's are a Vmax, but yes I've shot a ton of 52 Amax out of my 222 on small Idaho squirrels, blew them up. I have lately used 22 cal. 75 A max in a 22 BR and 6 mm 87 V max out of the 6 BR, they pop real good. Ya unlike the rest of the country last week it was sunny and 50-60 degrees here in Utah been out a couple times for Pdogs, a real treat this time of year! sgtg out
PS. My buddy uses 52 Amax in his 22-250, several years ago shot a crow at 300 yds or so and man poof. I had not ever seen a crow explode like that before. sgtg out

Last edited by sgtg; 02-18-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Supporting Member

Default 75 gr amax

On a feral pig at 287yds, entry and exit.

entry right behind the ear

exit, 2 pieces

and the delivery system, 22-243 at 3600fps
Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Supporting Member

I ONLY use the 60 and 75gr Vmax all the time in my 224 LRVT, 60gr running just under 4000fps for LR Rock Chucks/yeller dogs out to 800 yds and the 75gr @ 3800+ for the farest distances that I can hit them and that is my go to bullet when thumping Mule deer/Antelope out to 400yds+, 30+ 1S1K so far.
I have never recovered a 75gr yet from anything shot with them, quarter sized hole out the off side on broad side lung shots on the Big game. In the 17/22 cals it is the only bullet I'll shoot.

On Rock chucks, the 60/75 gr's leaves a RED MIST when hit, as seen thru the spotting scope. On our Pop Gut squirrels, small coke can sized, there is only a greasy ring where they were sitting. When center hit right at where the ribs end, it will pop their head 25-30' straight into the air and make a loud popping sound, that you can hear.

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 02-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Supporting Member

I shoot them exclusively out of my Swift @ 3900 ish. Wicked accurate. Crows come out of the trees in multiple pieces. Sounds like someone clapping their hands together when the bullet impacts.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:23 PM

I use the 52 Gr. A-max in my 22-250 Ackley on coyotes. Does a pretty good job on them and decent on the fur.