Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-30-2016, 12:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to 17rimfire
Default Thinking about a 20 cal

I've been considering the jump into a 20 cal for several years. I just can't decide on which one so I've never really made any progress. I've been thinking on a 204 ruger, 20 tac, 20 practical or a 20-223ai just because I have brass and a simple bushing change would get me there. I've researched a lot and it seems you could blanket them all in the performance area according to Google. I like the 204 case but brass seems scarce most times and I already have a lot of LC 223 brass sitting around. So my question is would there be any advantage of one over the other? And I guess simply what made you decide on which one? I've read a lot on the 20 practical and it seems appealing to me but I like the shape of the 20 tac. Anyway your input....Go.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:24 AM

Default Thinking about a 20 cal.

I have played with each and everyone of them. Still have the 204R and will keep one around. My 20 Tac I sold. My 20 Practical it just have re-chambered to the 20 Practical Ackley Improved (20-223AI with 40 Degree shoulder) it will do anything any one of the others does and very easy to form and reload for. Varget, H4198, H4895 seem to be working best for me, with the 32 and 39 grain bullets. You will enjoy any one of the 20 cal you mention. And I must add, I also have a 20 SCC, of which I just love, when I want just a slightly small case. Bill K
Old 10-30-2016, 03:33 AM

Default Tac 20

nothing wrong with the 204r if you want to burn more powder or don't reload, the tac 20 has been my favorite, easy to load for, lots of bullets to choose from, very good terminal performance
Old 10-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

I been wanting a 20-222. Have a CZ 527 in .222, just haven't gotten in sent off to Pac Nor. I have a .204 in a CZ, and an AR, but would like a little less muzzle blast.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:34 PM

Thumbs down

I was one of the original preachers of the 204R when it came out. Had the first VLP Savage in VA, developed load using AA2230 and AA2520 before it was available, Western Powders got that data. Killed a trainload of vermin with it, made witnessed measured groundhog kills over 700 yards with it (I DONT RECOMMEND IT FOR THIS, TOO MUCH CHANCE FOR A CRAWL OFF!!), won a 500 yard egg shoot against all manner of custom built BR rifles at RRRC in Roanoke, VA...........with that being said, I'd opt for the 20TAC!!!! Less powder, more performance. The TAC should have been the factory chambering instead of the 204R but Ruger and HORNADY stood to lose too much proprietary money if that had been the case. I still have GREAT respect for the 204R because it is such a performer in factory chambered rifles affordable to the masses with ammo available at LGS's everywhere but the TAC is specTAC!!! A Cooper in 20TAC would be the way to go. There is one here in VA (Cooper MTV) that can be bought. I bought it brand new and past year sold it to a friend that had to have it because of what it could do and I got another one this time a Phoenix. The friend is going to move it because he just plain doesn't have time to shoot all he owns!!
Old 10-30-2016, 06:15 PM

Default 20 cal

I have a couple 204R rifles, both Rem 700s with custom barrels, one heavy and one sporter. They are hard to beat for PDs and quite effective on called coyotes.
I also have a heavy barrel and light barrel 20 Vartarg. I have not shot enough coyotes with mine to have data to say how effective it is, but so far it has worked well. My heavy barrel Vartarg is a Rem XR100 single shot that I have used for PDs. It is excellent for that use, PDs.
One issue that has been well discussed here is that the shorter 20 Vartarg cartridge does not cycle through rifles originally made for 223s. I looked hard and foi=und a factory 221FB that I had made into a 20VT sporter and then used the XR100 single shoot for my heavy barrel, however I dis need a sako extractor to get the XR100 to work properly.
My 20s all have lilja and shilen barrels and are more accurate than I am.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:56 PM
Supporting Member

That was my other choice (.20 VarTarq). I'm also sitting on a spare CZ 527 American (nib) that is supposed to go to Pac Nor too. I think for PD's the .20 VT would be hard to beat, but for coyote, I prefer a heavier bullet.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:08 PM

I would choose the TAC or Practical for the ease of secureing good brass. The LC brass is very good while I had terrible luck with the 204 Ruger. I would, in your case choose the cartridge for what you have dies for. I would be a little shy on the Practical, as I understand there are well over a dozen variations all called the Practical. (From one reamer maker.)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
That was my other choice (.20 VarTarq). I'm also sitting on a spare CZ 527 American (nib) that is supposed to go to Pac Nor too. I think for PD's the .20 VT would be hard to beat, but for coyote, I prefer a heavier bullet.
I have shot half dozen coyotes with the 35 grain Berger. Frontal or broadside shots are DRT. Have not shot one running straight away.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rimfire View Post
So my question is would there be any advantage of one over the other?
I prefer the 20 Practical for ease of forming brass.

Some 204 Ruger rifles have trouble stabilizing the 40 gr. bullet with the 12T. Some have excessive freebore.