Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-26-2019, 10:00 PM

Default Hornet Enthusiasts: bullet weight for maximum distance?

Ok, you guys that have shot the 22 Hornet more than I, which bullet weight do you think is the optimum for utilizing the Hornet at its maximum range (and why)? I have always used the 35gr VMax, which I have to say, I do not care for in that weight for the longer Hornet ranges. I have almost used up the last of my 35 grain bullets and will branch out into heavier projectiles.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:54 PM

https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...pe_diameter=or

Just have a look at the ballistic coefficients. The 45gr hornet, looks to be the compromise.

https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/...t-bullets/1023

Last edited by Jingle; 07-27-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:59 PM

I shoot the 40 grain Nosler Varmageddon Tipped with 13.8gr Lil Gun in R-P Cases for 3100 FPS.
It is not the highest BC bullet, but not horrible @ a claimed .211

It is a very, very explosive bullet.......and ACCURATE.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:13 AM

I like the 40gr VMAX or NBT and the 45gr Sierra SPT. The 35gr VMAX have much more drift when the winds are strong. The 40gr NBT have better BC, but they usually cost more money than the 40gr VMAX. The Hornady or Sierra 45gr 22 Hornet specific bullets work very well for their cost.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Ok, you guys that have shot the 22 Hornet more than I, which bullet weight do you think is the optimum for utilizing the Hornet at its maximum range (and why)?
There are different definitions of maximum range, but for the most part it comes down to BC because this is how you can deal with wind. Range is often another unknown when shooting in field conditions, but there are quantitative ways to handle this. Wind can be tricky though.

There are ballistic calculators out there which you can experiment with to compare different theoretical combinations against your personal definition of maximum range.

For me the 35grain vmax is the best option from a ruger 77/22 Hornet, mostly because it fits the magazine. In terms of ballistics the 40grain plastic tips are near optimal in a compromise between wind and vertical trajectory on targets at unknown range; but these loaded rounds are longer than the paper definition of "22 Hornet" and won't fit much besides a single shot like a Cooper M38 or Contender. You can get high BC bullets in 22cal, but they will be heavy, going slower and will usually pencil through a varmint target with a rainbow trajectory that means you need to know the range accurately.

These kinds of thoughts are what led me to build the 22 Spitwads.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:37 PM

The Speer 40 and 45gr Varmint Soft Points look interesting, but I do not know if they are specifically Hornet design bullets. Right now, in my Ruger No. 1B, I have loaded up some Varmageddon 40 FBHP, which I have not tried. I chose the FBHP for some instances where a slower twist is used, where the plastic tipped version may not work. I do have some of the tipped ones as well.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:36 PM
Supporting Member

I am using 40 gr FB plastic tipped bullets in my K-Hornets and get good hits out in the 200-250 yd range, which is probably about it for that round. The 40 & 45 Speer bullets are most likely the best bang for the buck in Hornet size cases but the BC isn't quite as high so the effective range might be only 200 comparatively.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:45 PM

The Hornet specific bullets are made with thinner jackets and have pretty explosive performance at Hornet velocities. Some of the other 224 bullets are designed for much higher velocity rounds like the 22-250 and 220 Swift (think above 3600fps).
Old 07-27-2019, 05:08 PM
Banned

Default Hornet

50gr Hornady SP SX! AA 1680
Old 07-27-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
The Hornet specific bullets are made with thinner jackets and have pretty explosive performance at Hornet velocities. Some of the other 224 bullets are designed for much higher velocity rounds like the 22-250 and 220 Swift (think above 3600fps).
What I see at play is the use of bullets like the VMax, designed for higher speed cases, with better BC and less drop, but with a possible reduction in expansion, vs. the Hornet specific bullets, with possibly more explosive performance, but with reduced BC and more drop. The BC on the Speer Varmint Soft Points looks better than the Sierra Hornet bullets. Now, if the Speer Soft Points are designed for Hornet speeds, that might be a good way to go.