Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2019, 05:59 PM
Supporting Member

Default Who Hones Necks in Redding Dies?

Title says it all. Wanting to open the neck in my new 5.7 Johnson FL sizer die from .242 up to .250 so it won't work the brass so much. I know Forster and Hornady, maybe RCBS too, do this for their customers, but don't think I have heard of Redding providing this service. Anyone know?
Old 09-21-2019, 07:15 PM

I believe Redding does, you'll just have to call them Monday
Old 09-21-2019, 07:16 PM

I have no idea, but bet a email/ph call to their tech dept would furnish you a answer. Maybe even a shipping label for free shipping to them, if they do. Bill K
Old 09-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks guys, was planning on calling them Monday but just found the need today & thought I would ask. Will post what I find out from them.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Supporting Member

Joe I believe JLC would rework your dies. Might be cheaper than Redding
Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Have you considered a Redding Type S bushing die?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:58 AM
Supporting Member

The short answer to my question is "nobody hones/ laps out Redding dies". Redding absolutely does not do it, Jim Carstensen (JLC) said he would do it but use the same hand technique that I would myself. I would not ask anyone to spend that much time doing that job because They would lose big time or it wouldn't be worth the cost. Carstensen suggested that a .250 carbide end mill might bore the neck out OK, then polish it a little afterward; I'm wanting the finished diameter to be about .250 - .251. That is what I am going to try as soon as I can get over to my machinist friend's house. Will let y'all know how it goes.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:45 AM
Supporting Member

Joe sell the die you have and get a J.Whidden custom made FL die made for your chamber. I have several and they've worked great. I get just the a sizer and Eddie makes the seater. Whidden sizers are fairly priced.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:24 PM
Supporting Member

i 2nd what Ray said just get a custom die.

ML
Old 09-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Supporting Member

Normally I am with y'all on the Whidden die, but in this instance not. The brass came in from Reed's only partially sized with necks at .262 or so. I need to size all 600 down to about .250, so that is why I am working on getting the neck of the Redding standard FL die opened up to that. Remember that this is an oddball cartridge (5.7mm Johnson/22 Spitfire) so normal protocol doesn't apply well here. My total plan with the die project is to first get the die neck opened to .250, get all the brass sized down, shoot it all & resize with the opened up die and see how it works out. If I am unhappy with the results, I will then send the die to JLC and have them convert it to a bushing FL die unless I am unhappy with the body sizing. In that case I will send some fired cases to Whidden to make a full custom bushing die. I have Whidden dies for my 20-221FB AI and 20-223AI and they do a very nice job. Thanks for your contributions to the conversation.