Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-19-2020, 02:48 PM

Are the Cooper 17 Hornets a repeater or single shot?
Old 03-19-2020, 05:51 PM

You and everyone else wants a nice repeating bolt-action .22 Hornet. Other than a very few early M38s (in odd-ball, non-Hornet calibers), the Coopers are all single shots.

FWIW, Melvin at NULA will make a .22 Hornet action for you, but you have to order the entire rifle, and it will be a single shot. The old L-46 Hornets are probably the best, Hornet-specific repeater, and the Anschutz, though rear lugged, is also a very good option as a repeater, and the magazines are readily available. I've owned a number of CZ 527 Hornets, and they are very good, especially for the money. BSA made a quirky repeating Hornet, using a non-detachable box magazine similar to the M70 (I owned one), but it was bigger than it needed to be for a Hornet. I don't like the Ruger either, mostly due to lack of precision. I hear good reports about the Browning Micro-action but have no experience with it. The problem with all the magazine-fed .22 Hornets is magazine length limitations, which disallow use of the high BC and very effective newer bullets; not as much of an issue with the .17 Hornet.

Here's my ULA:

TBR
Old 03-19-2020, 07:19 PM

Since the Anschutz was mentioned, if you would consider a rear lugged action, the Kimber M82 was available in Hornet also, and the magazines were five shot.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:18 PM

Default Cascade

If you can find one, Cascade Arms made some very nice rifles with a Hornet bolt face. Butch's action is a take off of the Kimber 84 action. It has forward lugs and is control feed. It uses a box magazine with a floor plate so it is a little longer than the clips that CZ and Anschutz use. The one I have is extremely accurate.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear Rat View Post
You and everyone else wants a nice repeating bolt-action .22 Hornet.
Your whole reply basically sums up how I came up with the Spitwad. It addresses every point you made about the Hornet.

http://saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34387

For a single shot, the cooper M38 is the best option I've seen.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:29 PM
Supporting Member

I want to sincerely thank all contributors to this thread. I do want to reiterate that my original query was for a custom single shot action, not mag fed. I know many of you prefer mag fed, but after I go through prepping brass the last thing I want is to have to chase it, or worse, see it hitting the concrete at the range. Also, I am not actually going to build a Hornet, but another 22 Spitfire or two. Got one on a Nesika T and it is really sweet, so I am spoiled.
My feelings after considering everybody's contributions:
1) I have a Cooper 38 in 22 K-Hornet and it is a great shooter, but it has the clunkiest action I have ever seen. I'm thinking I will return it to Cooper after my annual PD shoot to see if they can make it better. Thought it would get better with use, but hasn't happened.
2) NULA was suggested, but I don't really want to put $3500 into this project for a single rifle, though they do look really nice.
3) Have communicated with flyrod a bit about his Spitwad project and I think what he has done via the Howa Mini is probably the best way to go for the money. He isn't having any extraction issues using that action in a 223 boltface and a small modification to the extractor to allow it to go in a little deeper.
4) I have another custom Neska T that is the sister rifle to the other one. It is in 222, a grand old cartridge, and shoots quite well. I may get Nesika to make another bolt for it so both rifles can be identical, but a new bolt from Nesika is $600 so gotta think about that a little.
5) I have a Remington 799 in 22 Hornet that I could make a Spitfire from, but after finding that rifle in the way back of the safe and checking it out a little, concluded that I wouldn't be happy with it so back in the safe it will go. Those appear to be a little hard to find these days, so maybe it will garner a little collector value over the years.
6) Considered a CZ 527 also, and that would probably be a good way to go but I think the Howa Mini may be even better in that price range.
That's about all I can think of regarding this project right now. Again, thanks for everybody's thoughts. Sincerely, Joe
Old 03-21-2020, 04:50 PM
Supporting Member

One comment, you can easily make a single shot out of any repeater. Seems to me you are trying for a very specific combination of traits, high end action and at a low cost. That usually doesn't come together that easily. I still think a single shot Anschutz 54 target action would be hard to beat for a 22H single shot build. Best of luck and let us know what you end up building.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
Your whole reply basically sums up how I came up with the Spitwad. It addresses every point you made about the Hornet.

http://saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34387
I'm actually in the process of doing something very similar with a donor L-46 in .222 I located about a six months ago. First and foremost, I want a Sako L-46 rifle that cracks instead of booms. The .222, though a great cartridge, is right at the booming point, while the .218 Bee and respective Hornets are just under that noise threshold (I realize that is totally unscientific, but it is based on my own empirical observations). I wanted to maintain the .222 bolt face and head size for three reasons: 1) I wasn't that confident the .30 Carbine head would function reliably in the L-46, even when modified, 2) I wanted to use higher quality brass, in my case, Lapua .221 brass, and, 3) I wanted to be reasonably certain the original Sako magazine would function reliably with the abbreviated-but-same-diameter round.

I know there have been shortened .223s, and this is only slightly different, but I went with a slightly abbreviated .221 FB, shortened just enough (110") to duplicate the .222 neck length. Based on my calculations, the case capacity is about .218 Bee level, it has sufficient body length to feed out of the Sako mags I have (confirmed with dummy rounds), and there are no bolt face or extractor issues with the action, an action I believe is the best ever made for these small cartridges.

I called it the .22 Tanuki. The Tanuki is a raccoon-like animal in Japan...and it's easy to pronounce. I already have the reamer in hand. Our operations are considered Essential Critical Infrastructure, but I am waiting for the powers that be to tell me I must start working from home

TBR
Old 03-25-2020, 11:45 PM

That sounds interesting. Will you run a 222 reamer in short, or is it a full custom reamer?

I thought about doing a fireball in 223 magazines. This would give you plenty of room for whatever bullet you want and the brass and bolt face is no problem. I guess I wanted to use the same powders and bullets I already use in the hornets. It seems like the fireball is too big for hornet powders and too small for 223 powders. AA1680 is about the only good choice (from what I recall).
Old 03-26-2020, 12:09 AM

A question on another 22 Hornet possibility that hasn't been mentioned. Does anyone have any first hand experience with a 22 Hornet Savage single shot Model 40? About all I know is that it has rear locking lugs.