Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-08-2021, 10:52 PM
Supporting Member

Default Your experiences annealing nickel plated brass

I'm reading conflicting reports online about annealing Nickel plated brass. Some folks are stating it's a waste of time and just size and shoot until the necks split, because of the different temps brass and Nickel anneal at resulting in the Nickel becoming harder if you anneal at the proper temps for brass.

Others are saying simply anneal like you would normal brass. What are your experiences ??

Aaron
Old 03-09-2021, 12:47 AM
Supporting Member

In my limited experience, I just anneal with my Bench Source as normal, but I use unplated brass for the setup. I think that if I was going to use nickel plated brass long term, I would skim turn the necks to remove the plating but have no experience with that.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I never anneal unless making used brass into something else and
have split necks doing it. then i'll anneal and AIR COOL, never quench
in water!

Far as any problems with nickled brass. Never had any trouble.
In 38 cases I've reloaded quite a few until the nickle has worn off
and the brass is showing thru.

I reload til cases fail some how.

I feel you and others are trying to make a big deal out of nothing.
It's NOT complicated to reload as long as you follow the rules of safety.

Don't read so much bullshit on the web is the main problem most newbies
get involved in. Seems like other newbies like to spread bs just to hear
responses howling.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-09-2021, 04:27 AM
Supporting Member

I feel you and others are trying to make a big deal out of nothing.
It's NOT complicated to reload as long as you follow the rules of safety.

Don't read so much bullshit on the web is the main problem most newbies
get involved in. Seems like other newbies like to spread bs just to hear
responses howling.[/quote]

Great reply George,

Very insightful and informative. Glad you can share your wealth of knowledge pertaining to annealing nickel plated brass (seeing as you don't anneal your brass) with such an unbiased and fact filled condescending reply.

Had you even bothered to look in the top right corner, you would have noticed I've been a member of this board for 12 years. I started reloading when I was 18 years old so that only puts 43 years behind the handle of a press. Yep, I'm a "newbie" searching the web, looking for ways to spread BS and make people howl.

I could care less if you don't anneal your casings and have premature failure due to split necks, it's your brass, treat it however you like. I asked a simple question looking for reply's from people who actually have experience annealing Nickel plated brass, whether it be successful or in vain. I recently came upon a couple hundred pieces of Nickel plated 17 Remington brass and simply want to see if it will benefit or be trashed by annealing....

Last edited by long shot; 03-09-2021 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:40 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
In my limited experience, I just anneal with my Bench Source as normal, but I use unplated brass for the setup. I think that if I was going to use nickel plated brass long term, I would skim turn the necks to remove the plating but have no experience with that.
Thanks for sharing your method, Did you have any noticeable hardening of the necks? Was the case life comparable to non plated brass after annealing?

Aaron
Old 03-09-2021, 01:37 PM

Are the cases splitting now? Annealing will make the brass softer and give you more reload cycles on the necks. If you use induction to heat the cases, the nickel will heat quicker than the brass but on a 17 cal neck it would probably not be a problem like it can be on pistol brass. The nickel is much harder than brass, but it's also much thinner. Think of the shell on a boiled egg. It will tend to come off and can scratch dies, etc. but again, it's probably not much of a problem. I would say just reload them as you would normally, and if the necks start to crack then anneal them. If you're really dedicated to the 17rem and shoot it a lot then regular brass might help some in your setup, but if you're just shooting 1 rifle then that barrel will probably be done before you need more brass.

Last edited by flyrod; 03-09-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:45 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
Are the cases splitting now? Annealing will make the brass softer and give you more reload cycles on the necks. If you use induction to heat the cases, the nickel will heat quicker than the brass but on a 17 cal neck it would probably not be a problem like it can be on pistol brass. The nickel is much harder than brass, but it's also much thinner. Think of the shell on a boiled egg. It will tend to come off and can scratch dies, etc. but again, it's probably not much of a problem. I would say just reload them as you would normally, and if the necks start to crack then anneal them. If you're really dedicated to the 17rem and shoot it a lot then regular brass might help some in your setup, but if you're just shooting 1 rifle then that barrel will probably be done before you need more brass.

It's unfired brass, I'm just looking down the road after I see that first split neck and go from there with the annealing. You and Joe are on the same page as far as using regular brass for set up and I concur.

Thanks for your input!

Aaron
Old 03-09-2021, 03:42 PM

A wildcat I had years back I used nickel brass, forget the parent case. It formed up fairly easy. After a few loadings on it,it split. I annealed it and then the plating started to flake. I went ahead and used it. The plating ended up ruining the sizer die, it basically impregnated into the die. Sent it back to Redding and the polished it but it still would turn virgin brass to ugly scratched up brass.

I have worn 38 and 357 nickel brass out with no issue. The bottle neck stuff seems totally different. I stay clear of any nickel anymore.
YMMV
Jeff
Old 03-09-2021, 05:44 PM

I would only add that it helps to try not to over heat the case when trying to anneal it. I use a propane torch and heat by time, counting out seconds when annealing and rotating the 'brass.'
Old 03-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks guys, good info. I've always steered clear of Nickel, now I've got something to go on and watch for while working with this brass.

Aaron