Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-26-2021, 10:28 AM

Default Tactacam Questions.....

Ran across some YouTube videos yesterday, some guy shooting coyotes and filming right through the scope with a camera gizmo called Tactacam. Looked like it is a well thought out piece of equipment. just wondering if any of you all had used one of these and your thoughts on it. It is moderately expensive, but not extreme....

I think my first concern would be clearance between the bolt handle and the camera holder where it attaches to the eyepiece on the back of the scope.....seems that could get tight....might require higher mounting rings?
Any thoughts?
Steve
Old 03-26-2021, 01:50 PM
Supporting Member

I have one that I bought to video PD shooting. Your thoughts about bolt clearance are valid but you just have to try it to see. What surprised me was how much eye relief I lost. Not a great concern for me shooting the small stuff that I use for PD but it could be pretty aggravating with a larger caliber like you might use for coyotes. It might work best clamped onto the scope tube as an independent device. IIRC the device has about 8X of zoom programmable.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:46 PM

I got a rig called a side shot. Uses your phone to record with. Video ends up round though.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:20 AM

I used one all winter calling coyotes on a 22 creedmoor. It worked great but does use up a little eye relief. You can mount it any direction on the back of the scope so it doesn’t interfere with your bolt. Good clear videos with the 4K video mode.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:55 AM

Just sent an email to Tactacam asking about the eye relief issue....and asked about how much the FTS adapter increased the outside diameter of the eyepiece, thinking about bolt handle clearance. So we'll see if they respond, and will post what they had to say.
Steve
Old 03-27-2021, 10:16 AM

I was very pleasantly surprised when I got an almost immediate response last night from customer support at Tactacam. The CS rep sent me quite is list of boiler plate tips and facts regarding the product. Very informative, but did not quite answer my questions, so I sent him back more specific questions this morning.

I asked what is the outside diameter of portion of the FTS adapter where it slides over the scope eyepiece, and second, with regard to the loss of eye relief, is that a result of the FTS simply adding length to the back end of the scope, or does the FTS alter the focal length.

I will be using it on a 22-250 in the case that would generate the most recoil, and mostly on 17 Rem, 17 Hornet and 204, so the effect of recoil and shorter eye relief, if the reduced eye relief is due only to the additional length added from the FTS should be of no consequence.

Will post answers as I get them,
Steve
Old 03-27-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I have one that I bought to video PD shooting. Your thoughts about bolt clearance are valid but you just have to try it to see. What surprised me was how much eye relief I lost. Not a great concern for me shooting the small stuff that I use for PD but it could be pretty aggravating with a larger caliber like you might use for coyotes. It might work best clamped onto the scope tube as an independent device. IIRC the device has about 8X of zoom programmable.
SmokinJoe, could you measure the OD of the portion of the FTS that slips over the eyepiece.....attempting to figure out if the bolt handle will clear the FTS?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-27-2021, 09:51 PM
Supporting Member

Adapter is about 2.125 dia at eyepiece. The short eye relief is an optical thing, not mechanical. I had it installed on a Dakota Varminter HB in 20VT and once I got everything into the correct position it worked OK mechanically but it came back and bumped my shooting glasses on almost every shot.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:39 AM

Smokinjoe, thanks for the measurement.....if I read you correctly, it's 2 1/8" OD back there.....the clearance is going to be touchy for sure on the blot handle. The customer service guy at Tactacam responded this afternoon and stated that the measurement was 2.00" OD on the part that slips over the scope....if it were exactly that, there is a good possibility that it might clear the bolt handle....but who knows for sure. Guess I could get the FTS and give it a try, and maybe alter the bolt handle to get clearance. Will be mostly used on CZ 527 actions in 17 Rem and 17 hornet....recoil shouldn't be an issue. The CS rep also told me the shortened eye relief was due to the additional length of the FTS. I must say that the customer service at Tactacam never closes, they even work on weekends! Very unique to care that much!

Just wondering, knowing what you know now, would you buy it again?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-28-2021, 01:56 AM
Supporting Member

Not sure I would buy it or anything like it again. It seems to be a good unit but I can remember the spectacular shots well enough and nobody else much cares. The CZ could be a clearance problem as they have enough problems just clearing a regular scope.