Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-12-2021, 07:08 PM

That was an interesting video. Tks. I use a Mapp Gas torch, or a Mapp Gas torch head on a propane tank. With the .17's, either .17Rem or Hornet, just 3 seconds in the flame is usually sufficient
rotating the case in my fingers, then dropping it into the water. I like the big squat 1 pound propane tanks as they sit very well.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:16 PM

I use propane on my 40 years old propane torch. About 6 or 7 years ago, I found 4 or 5 propane tanks at a local yard sale for $0.50 each. Had to get them all, as that should be a lifetime supply for me.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:21 PM

I use my homebrew induction annealer quite a bit. For years I did the drill/torch method, and now I much prefer induction. It's much faster, more consistent, and I can easily do short cases without overheating the case head. With the WSSM, I had to use MAP gas to heat the neck fast enough to not overheat the whole case. Annealing is really handy for doing wildcat forming, and I get more consistent velocities too. Velocity variation doesn't matter much when popping rodents inside 300 yards, but at long range it can be a big factor.

The AMP web site has a lot of information on annealing that they've published. For induction annealing, I prefer the homebrew versions because they are usually a drop-thru setup with a trap door. This helps with doing large batches of brass (check out the videos on the accurate reloading link above). With the AMP you attach each case to the holder, insert it, anneal it, remove it back out the way it went in, detach the case from the holder, repeat...
Old 04-27-2021, 03:52 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
(One of the problems with TCM is they have gone to all nickel cases )

You're not looking in the right place. It was mentioned that the brass for sale WAS Nickel plated?
I did some digging, ordered up another batch for my stash and when it showed up it was BRASS!! Showed to look plated on the web site but when it was delivered, it was in fact brass.
Ammo Supply Warehouse is brass. (brass)
Armscor Reloading Brass. (brass)
I ordered a couple thousand pre-primed brass a couple of months ago. Would you believe it, the day it was supposed to be delivered it "went missing". After an "investigation" with inconclusive findings but insured & covered...they finally sent a new order, it arrived last Friday. As I too suspected it was going to be all brass & not nickel...it was. It really is a pretty decent deal.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 04-27-2021, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

Great points all thank you for your input. I decided to table this for now since the used machine I was looking at sold...not to me. I'll keep you posted if I move down this path.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO