Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 11-15-2015, 02:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default deer season opened today

shot a deer this morning and decided to go back out in the afternoon and fill thje second tag.
took the xp-100 6br with 80 gr sierra special singleshot pistol bullets doing 2900 fps.
had 4 does come out behind my ground blind, lasered at 270 yards,no way to shoot to the rear. the blind is a home made hay bail blind and it weighs about 50 pounds.
the deer grazed across the field to the edge of the river. the only thing i could think to do to get a shot was pick the blind up and rotate it 180*. well it worked as the deer were not spooked.
i have a stiff plywood board thea acts as a shooting bench along with the harris bipod.
lasered the deer again, 210 yards. thought it was a mistake so i did it again. 210 right on the mark, my 3-12 burris has four bdc crosshairs. the first is set dead nuts on at 100 the second is dead on at 210. placed the crosshain on the biggest deer's chest and centered it just behind the front leg. the xp rockes ever so slightly and the deer flused like quail. they went behind a small knoll and i counted them, one, two three, oops there was four so i counted again, sure enough three.
when i reached the knoll top i could see the doe laying about 50 yards from where i shot her. quarter sized hole in and out, got both lungs and clipped the major arteries at the top of the heart.
love my xp, sure more challenging than a rifle.

Last edited by foxhunter; 11-15-2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:16 PM

Good shooting! And good eating!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Supporting Member

Yes indeed, I love the single shot pistols!
congratulations!
Tom
Old 11-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Nice. Since I'll be gun hunting in PA this year, I might just take the Contender in 7 TCU this year, or the SRH in 44 mag for something different.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

charlie i archery hunt mostly, shooting a deer with a rifle is like cheating. if you can hit a prarie dog, coyote or ground hog at 400-500 yards what rifle , poor mr deer is really in trouble. guess there is something to be said for practicing on varmints all year long and sneaking thru the woods with a bow.

did go off and leave my ozonics in the ground blind and had to retrieve it in the middle of the night. blind sure smelled like fresh falling rain.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
charlie i archery hunt mostly, shooting a deer with a rifle is like cheating. if you can hit a prarie dog, coyote or ground hog at 400-500 yards what rifle , poor mr deer is really in trouble. guess there is something to be said for practicing on varmints all year long and sneaking thru the woods with a bow.
my feelings exactly. I shot a buck last year with a rifle, could have killed it with my bow. Wasn't all that exciting. I have bow hunted in rifle, much more of a challenge.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:12 PM

Be appreciative that you have the spots to hunt with a bow in rifle season. Some of us hunt with a rifle and see nothing to shoot from 0-500 yds.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 11-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Supporting Member

Hello Bob. Congrats on the doe. You have a great combo in the 6BR and XP-100 pistol!!
Old 11-16-2015, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Be appreciative that you have the spots to hunt with a bow in rifle season. Some of us hunt with a rifle and see nothing to shoot from 0-500 yds.
Most of PA has become just that. I am lucky to have great hunting out my back door, qnd a few other spots, but they're starting to go bad as well. It's quite a shame. Got in a lease in Md this year...they're trying for 4.5 y.o. deer or better. And they've got em. Slug gun or MZ only though. My Encore is going to get some use I hope.