Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-12-2017, 11:15 PM

Default 17 Fireball on a Ruger #1

I am having a 17 Fireball built on a Ruger #1 action. I am a single shot nut. Here is the parent/donor gun as it is with a Heart SS 22-250 barrel on it.

Barrel is being ordered by the smith and hopefully we'll see it soon. It will be a Lilja Ruger Varmint profile 1:9 twist. I Will have the block face squared and the trigger taken down to 1.5 or so lbs pull.

So, now I am scope shopping. This will be a 300 yard and in gun as our country here in Southernmost Illinois can be pretty tight. We have some big open areas south of me starting about 30-45 minutes drive (Ohio/Mississippi River flood plane) where you can stretch one out but I have a 6.5. CM for that work. So, I am looking at something in the V 3-10x50 or so with exposed target/tactical turrets. Would like to keep the price under $600.00. So far I think I am looking for a unicorn.

This will be my first "lil" gun and I am excited about it. Any hints eagerly accepted.

Thanks

Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
SCTP Collegiate Coaches Chairman
NSCA Level III

Last edited by Huntschool; 02-12-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:45 AM

I too enjoy the No.1. Have done a lot of calibers......can be made into most anything with a 10 dollar part exchange in the action(extractor); kinda nice I think.

One of mine is a 17 Bumble Bee which was built for no good reason, so guess that was a good thing huh? Even have a pair of 22 rimfires with 17 rimfire switch barrels, so yeah, the No.1 bug and this place got to me over the years.

I have always fussed with the multi-link trigger, but only got so-so with it, and I realize that is a relative term. Converted two screw to three screw etc etc.......... have eyed the single piece Jard types, but never owned one........... yet.

I typically run over to Leupold for scopes, but a friend showed me a Burris Timberline 4.5-14.....very compact for its power level......not much in twilight but otherwise is a nice foreign scope for 250-ish.

I am sure you will be splunged and heap keen on the new build......

You could have done worse than P.J.Hart's outfit and Danny Lilja's outfit, both make fine quality barrels.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Supporting Member

I like it Hard to go wrong with a Leupould 4.5-14x

ML
Old 02-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Default Scope search....

For the $s paid, I was very impressed with the Redfield Revolution scopes!!!!!

Bill
Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Looks like some nice figure and grain lurking in that stock, will be a very nice project. I have always liked the look of the Ruger No. 1.

I was talking with a friend just yesterday about how at some stage in the further I would like to build a small .17, one of .17AH, .17HH, .17 MkIV or .17FB. We were tossing a round what actions we would use, but for some reason we overlooked the No. 1.

Marcus
Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 PM

I have a #1 in 17 ackley bee and love it! As far as scopes go I think it would depend on what you were using it for. Mine is a little heavy for a coyote gun plus that pretty wood needs a nice bench to shoot off to keep from getting dinged up. I put an older Japan tasco 6-24 on mine and I think it gives it the vintage varmint look! My shooting buddy has one is same caliber with an unertl on it and I think it looks amazing. Those are pretty high priced though. All in all I'm very pleased with the tasco for around 200$.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:35 PM

I normally would go right to Leupold, Night Force, Kahles, Zeiss, etc., but with this gun likely never being shot over 300 yards and really more 250 and in I didn't think that much glass was needed. I dont night hunt so that was an additional thought although I can and will hunt past dusk sometimes depending on conditions.

I have looked at the Redfield TAC-MOA 3-9x40 (no side focus) scope and the Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10x50 with side focus.

The Kaspa does have an illuminated reticle which could come in handy in low light I guess. I have not decided as yet but am leaning towards the Kaspa if anyone has any info please share it ......

Thanks

Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
NSCA Level III

Last edited by Huntschool; 02-20-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Look at some older weaver 3-10x tactical models mil/mil turrets and they are a very good scope for the money. Midway use to carry them around $260. You can find them on ebay periodically and pick one up for about $200. Very good for the money.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:29 PM

WEll, time has past and I did manage to decide on a scope for this project gun. I shopped and shot a pretty good bunch of scopes. Some I even knew from the get go were not going to be the one I was interested in for this gun but I did want to shoot them just to see how they did. Needless to say, some of the $3000.00 scopes are nice but a bit over the top, performance wise, for this gun...... just sayin.

I decided on a Zeiss Terra 3X 4-12x50 with their Rapid Z rec. It is clear as a non existent pane of glass.....

One individual mentioned he thought it got "fuzzy" up around 12 power. I did not notice that but likely I may never go there for a shot. I like the focus adjustment in the eye piece and dont seem to miss the AO. Zeiss says it is set for 300 yds and that is exactly what I wanted.

Just thought I would bring you up to date. Its on the 22-250 donor gun and has killed some fur already

Bruce A. Hering
Shotgun Team Coach
NSCA Level III
Old 04-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Fun project keep us updated