Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-19-2018, 03:21 PM

the case neck trimmer would be a nice way about it. if you had a custom mandrel is there enough room to get the cutting head to the base without hitting the end of the tool? you could use a lee case holder in a 1/4" drill then just make a crap ton of passes till machine off the excess then you'd have to finish the rest by hand somehow due to the excess left from case holder......
Old 06-20-2018, 05:38 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
the case neck trimmer would be a nice way about it. if you had a custom mandrel is there enough room to get the cutting head to the base without hitting the end of the tool? you could use a lee case holder in a 1/4" drill then just make a crap ton of passes till machine off the excess then you'd have to finish the rest by hand somehow due to the excess left from case holder......
I tried it and just don't have the tools accurate enough to create a trimmer for the web area. I'll be honest, I definitely don't have the skill necessary to do this -- bit off more than I can chew. I decided that since I want a center fire version of a rimfire I chickened out and went to good old Ron Reed and bought some 22 CCM cases from him. Experiencing the amount of work necessary to do the centerfire cases it seemed to be a saving of time to just order some from him.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:29 AM

Sorry for the long delay in reply here... Had some family stuff crop up that needed taken care of, and found myself without all that much time for tinkering.

I did scratch out a few hours a little bit ago, and put together another host gun.

It started life as a well used Police trade-in S&W model 15-4. I've used it for other experiments (like mounting suppressors on a revolver, I had a 16" barrel on it at one point, etc.) and figured it would make a good host for the little ladybug.

I acquired and fitted a model 48 barrel, and a model 617 cylinder (blued steel model 17 cylinders are hard to find and expensive!).

With some work on the hand and cylinder ratchet, the gun is timed primarily for single action shooting with zero measurable play on any axis with the hammer down and trigger fully pulled. Double action carry up is a little later than probably desired by most folks, but it does carry up and lock at any speed pulled, and has the same zero play lockup hammer down. I doubt it'll be shot much double action, but who knows? Most gunsmiths refuse to adjust S&W revolvers for zero play for various reasons, but I find it helps with accuracy, especially on a gun that will be mostly fired single action.

I haven't had enough time to really wring out accuracy, but it's hovering around 1.5" or smaller pretty consistently at 25 yards from an improvised rest, and seems to be getting slightly better with every group.

It does work as intended, and is just as effective as the contender on Squirrels. My squirrel shooting is opportunistic at this point, limited to when they present themselves on the back deck or similar, I haven't had time for a dedicated hunt, but when I do, I plan to use the ladybugs for the task.

Last edited by NoZombies; 10-16-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:12 PM

Your skill set is light years past mine. Cool as heck.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:08 AM

Quite the interesting S&W......

I have long been an admirer of a centerfire, 22 cal or less, in a S&W revolver. Guess the old 224 Harvey Kay Chuk is a personal goal of mine.

I built up a similar revolver last year, but in 22 squirrel. One of those cheapo reamer deals you know. I made my own dies, too tight to buy them. I used a M15 beater with a K22 cylinder and barrel. I know what you mean about pricey parts for the old K frame 22lrs/mags/jets. Your revolver is light years ahead of my effort, a heap keen on your adventure.

I have gone off the deep end again, as finally got the Kay Chuk reamer, and bought for way too much money, another set of cylinder and long barrel. Have not gotten there yet, health is in the dumpster right now, but getting the ideas again at least.

I have long heard that the newer 617 cylinders/barrels were dimensionally different than the old M17s. Obviously you went thru that with the stainless cylinder in the blue frame. Any of the internet cylinder incompatibility true from your point of view?..if I may ask your take on old/new compatiblities on cylinders for the 22lr K frames..

Right nice wildcat, and on the perfect mechanism I think, you did good.

Rick W.

Last edited by rick w.; 10-17-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
Quite the interesting S&W......

I have long been an admirer of a centerfire, 22 or less, in a S&W revolver. Guess the old Harvey Kay Chuk is a personal goal of mine.

I built up a similar revolver last year, but in 22 squirrel. One of those cheapo reamer deals you know. I made my own dies, too tight to buy them. I used a M15 beater with a K22 cylinder and barrel. I know what you mean about pricey parts for the old K frame 22lrs/mags/jets.

I have gone off the deep end again, as finally got the Kay Chuk reamer, and bought for way too much money, another set of cylinder and long barrel. Have not gotten there yet, health is in the dumpster right now, but getting the ideas again at least.

I have long heard that the newer 617 cylinders/barrels were dimensionally different than the old M17s. Obviously you went thru that with the stainless cylinder in the blue frame. Any of the internet cylinder incompatibility true from your point of view?....

I put a blue M27 cylinder in a 8 3/8 blued revolver(27) earlier, in 357 B&D. I think it is about as good as the Dan Wesson V40 maximum.

Right nice wildcat, and on the perfect mechanism I think, you did good.

Rick W.
Thanks Rick, I've got less than 100 rounds through the gun, but so far it's showing some promise, and has accounted for 2 squirrels in that time.

I've managed to pick up some model 17 and 18 barrels reasonably enough, but the blued 6 shot cylinders are spendy... Or maybe I'm cheap... Either way, the SS cylinder at half the price was appealing to me.

I was able to fit the cylinder by taking a small ring off of the rear of the cylinder to clear the frame lug. I could have just replaced the CF frame lug with a RF frame lug and avoided that, but I'm lazy and I hate replacing frame lugs. Otherwise, it was just a matter of fitting the ratchet and hand, length and diameter were no issue, neither was cylinder gap with the unmodified model 18 barrel.

I'm hoping I can find a few more cylinders, as I can fit them each for timing, and end up with one host gun and several caliber options, I've made a 1" case length version of this, but have no host gun yet, I'm thinking it should perform somewhere in the .22 mag range and be almost as cheap to shoot as this one.

I had a Kay-Chuck for a while, and never loved it as much as I wanted to. I ended up selling it about 10 years ago. I really like the way lead bullets work, and the Kay-chuck had such a short neck I felt like I was leaving a lot on the table with it.

I've got a set of .22 long snapper dies (and form dies) that I've been meaning to build a gun for... but until I find a reamer to borrow or rent... well lt's just say they don't cost me anything when they're sitting on the shelf.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 AM

Thanks for the kind reply and information on the work. I think I still have one (or two) more wildcat S&W's in me, so is food for thought.

Those Long Snapper dies will show you where to find the reamer I am sure, always happens that way..................and kinda glad of it.

I ended up drill/tap on my old frame, put the Leupold mount and scope on it; I can make a 55 gallon drum kinda jittery at 10yds now............. ........what fun these revolvers are huh?.......
Old 10-17-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
Thanks for the kind reply and information on the work. I think I still have one (or two) more wildcat S&W's in me, so is food for thought.

Those Long Snapper dies will show you where to find the reamer I am sure, always happens that way..................and kinda glad of it.

I ended up drill/tap on my old frame, put the Leupold mount and scope on it; I can make a 55 gallon drum kinda jittery at 10yds now............. ........what fun these revolvers are huh?.......
No worries, I've enjoyed the process a lot myself.

I had a scope on the Kay-Chuck. Sadly I've never been very good with a scoped pistol, and I shot the gun better after I removed the scope and started using the sights.

I'd be interested in seeing your projects, they sound interesting!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM

My eyes have cataracts now, get worse every year, but I can do ok with irons up to around 25yds now.

The yearn for the 224 Kay Chuk is mostly nostalgia, the 22 Mink is about the same case really. Just wanted the experience od doing that was done before my time, we had some talented guys before us.

If you look at my profile, and click on albums, I have a few pictures there of a few projects fwiw. The 22 squirrel revolver was taken in early stages, not fussed with cosmetically much.

Last edited by rick w.; 10-17-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:16 PM

Some testing this morning. The contender is doing alright... 50 yards elbow rested. Smallest .314" largest with fliers .729"

They're all the same load, which has proven to be pretty good. I'll work on other loads in the not too distant future, but consistency is a big part of what I want from the gun and cartridge, so the largest groups it shoots are as important to me as the smallest.