Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 07-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Supporting Member

Unhappy Dang homemade cartridge size problem.

I got the bug from "Nojombies" and his 22 ladybug cartridge he made by reforming 25acp cases. I wanted something a bit bigger so first I bought (cheated) some 22 CCM brass from Ron Reed. Then I figured I could take some 5.7X28FN brass and come close to the 22 CCM and I kind of succeeded with a cartridge a bit longer than a 22 rimfire magnum but the case diameter is 0.243" where the 22 rimfire magnum is 0.242" so my case will not really work in the Magnum chamber -- dang it. Would it be possible to use a .242" neck sizing bushing to adjust the case diameter or could I just buy a .244" reamer to open up the 22 magnum chamber? I think "Nozombies" just reamed a chamber size for his 22 ladybug cartridge since it was also a no-standard size. I could go with the PTG 22 CCM reamer but there is a 6 to 8 week wait and I would probably forget what the heck I ordered the reamer for -- I'm old with memory loss.

I'd show a picture of the cartridges but they are in the polisher right now. These are for a little back yard pop gun I'm building.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:27 PM

since your talking just .001" I would try something like a push through sizer or is there a rim still?

nozombies just used a standard chucking reamer which would likely be the easiest solution if there is a rim involved and you don't intended to use a 22 mag in it again. (or it could split cases)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 PM

Maybe a custom made die body for the carbide neck sizer buttons. Make a push through that way.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Supporting Member

The cartridge cases have rims and are darn close to the 22 magnum in dimensions except the length but I plan to trim them either to 22 magnum length or 22 winchester rimfire length. I guess it would not hurt to try one neck sizing die and try to remove that last .001" of case diameter but I hate to add another step to the reforming of the 5.7X28 cases. I could try a .244" reamer on a piece of barrel already chambered for the magnum and if it works then I only have to do my rifle once and it's done.

Where would be a good place to get the reamer and what would be a good type to use?
Old 07-08-2018, 08:36 PM

if you had a lathe you could dial in the chamber then just use a standard chucking reamer. you could even grind a D reamer to achieve the same goal if your familiar with them. if you intend to do it by hand then it may be best to find a piloted reamer which may be difficult to source for cheap. may have to go the custom route from PTG, Manson, ect...

ETA: second thought what about one of those chamber hones? that may be your best bet as it will leave a fantastic finish. not in stock but this is what i'm talking about. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...e-chamber-hone

i'm not sure what the manufacture recommends but i've always used ATF with them and the finish comes out great. Have used them for cylinders on engines, brake cylinders.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 07-08-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:18 PM
Supporting Member

I've have to do some work on the case thickness. I feel I may be able to correct the problem by making the case thickness the same as that of the 22 CCM cases. I hope to have this worked out soon because I have a lot of parts for the rifle coming in.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:13 PM
Supporting Member

Getting closer -- did 10 pieces of brass but have not adjusted the length yet. I kind of run out of steam easy and this how far I got today. Developed a new forming method that very easy and the cases come out with the exact same case width as the commercial 22 magnum. The picture below is my case on the left with a test 40gr billet installed -- the case obviously was not length sized. On the right is a 22 magnum with 30gr V-max.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:45 PM
Supporting Member

I've gotten to where I want to be but not sure if it's worth the effort yet. Below is some of the cases I did and they are loaded and ready to shoot. The round on the left is a regular 22 magnum rimfire. I chambered an adapter I made for a break-open shotgun -- I also did a rimfire adapter for the same shotgun in 22lr. I don't know yet which I'd prefer to shoot in the backyard. I can shoot Colibri's or Super Colibri's in the 22lr conversion with almost no noise.

These are the cartridges -- not that difficult to make except cleaning off the little ridge just above the rim. The load is 4 to 5 gr of AA#9 with a 30gr Varmint Grenade.

I made these to also shoot in the backyard but actually planned to use cast light weight bullets and either a magnum primer and no powder or a touch of Unique powder. A second problem to resolve is a bullet seater that is the diameter of the case. I'm using the bullet seater from my 5.7X28FN die set and it can be a real problem getting everything aligned.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 07-24-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:33 AM

22 boomer, if I recall correctly, AA No.9 is about the same burn rate as AA5744. That might be handy if you want to have a bulkier powder than No. 9.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:25 AM

You could make a wilson style seating die pretty easily. Could just bore the hole for the chamber in the die.

Aaron