Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 AM

Default Moly Removal -Part 2

I was not successful finding Dawn dishwashing detergent that removes moly like the original formulation I had used in the past. I decided to try tumbling using stainless steel cartridge cleaning pins with detergent as I have used for cleaning brass, beginning with 5 bullets tumbled for two hours.

While the bullets came out sparkling clean with no visible signs of damage of any type, stainless steel pins are NOT the way to go. They have a tendancy to get stuck in the hollow point cavities and are time consuming to remove.

Next I tried “jewelers mix” of stainless steel tumbling and polishing media. There are three different shapes of media in the mix that are too large to get stuck in the hollow point cavities. This media worked very well when tumbled for two hours with the normal mix of dishwashing soap and Lemishine. There was no visible damage to the bullets at all when inspected with a jeweler’s loupe. There was no loss of bullet weight when weighed using my Denver Instruments scale. There was also no flaking of gilding metal in the cleaning mix as you may have seen when using stainless steel pins to clean cartridge brass.

Since I was anticipating some damage to the bullets, this was NOT what I expected at all.

Bottom line, removal was quick, clean and painless with no bullet damage. I’m not trying to start any debates - I am just reporting what I found.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member