Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 08-18-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Send me a email....Address etc.... Just make a post with some made up projectiles when you get them....
Adam
The problem is, I don't have any ULD/VLD dies. I only have 6S and 8S ogives. Probably won't do your tips justice.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:06 PM

A word of warning, maybe. I hunt ghogs and have been partial to open meplates as they quickly deliver their energy inside the varmint and often have no exit wound. A friend made me some 65 gr 6mm bullets with a large meplate and they worked wonderfully...303yds longest kill and no exit. The problem was it's low BC requiring much more elevation over a 100 zero and it did not like wind. He made some with the plastic ballistic tip using the same jacket. The problem...my 14 tw 6BR would not stabilize them...keyhole at 25 yds. My 6x47 Lapua,12 tw stabilized them nicely. To open the meplate enough to accept the tip the bearing surface increased so much as to require a faster twist...just like Barnes 50 gr 22 cal Varmint Grenade requiring a 10 tw or faster.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpreddick View Post
A word of warning, maybe. I hunt ghogs and have been partial to open meplates as they quickly deliver their energy inside the varmint and often have no exit wound. A friend made me some 65 gr 6mm bullets with a large meplate and they worked wonderfully...303yds longest kill and no exit. The problem was it's low BC requiring much more elevation over a 100 zero and it did not like wind. He made some with the plastic ballistic tip using the same jacket. The problem...my 14 tw 6BR would not stabilize them...keyhole at 25 yds. My 6x47 Lapua,12 tw stabilized them nicely. To open the meplate enough to accept the tip the bearing surface increased so much as to require a faster twist...just like Barnes 50 gr 22 cal Varmint Grenade requiring a 10 tw or faster.
I believe your problem (lack of gyroscopic stability) with the "tipped" bullet is not the longer bearing surface, but rather the greater OLA of the bullet, resulting in a lower specific gravity, thus requiring a faster twist. Visualize a projectile made of aluminum vs. copper & lead . . . RG
Old 10-27-2017, 12:29 PM

The jacket was the same as a bullet made with a closed meplate and it was stable in the same 14 tw 6 BR.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
The jacket was the same as a bullet made with a closed meplate and it was stable in the same 14 tw 6 BR.
But, did not the plastic (or, other material) tip make the bullet longer? That is the issue on a .22 Cal. bullet, increasing the length by a mere 0.060" dictates a 1.0" faster twist rate! Read Modern Exterior Ballistics, or, the complete works of Brian Litz, or other readily available works regarding exterior ballistics. RG
Old 11-12-2017, 11:12 PM

I've not been able to reach Adam via pvt msg. Is there a source for these tips in the USA? Will Hornady sell them?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 PM

I have been able to communicate with Adam. Things are not going well. Apparently some have complained about the price of his tips among other negatives. As a result, he is not interested in perusing his desire to provide ballistic tips to non commercial bullet makers...these make their own tips.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I have shot the 50 grain VG in 1-12 twist barrels and have not had issues? They were not as accurate as cup and core bullets, but no sign of keyhole.