Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 11-02-2018, 10:32 PM

Default 17 Remington chambering

Looking to you folks in the know on what to ask about/for as far as chambering in a prechamber for a savage. 1-9" twist. I have quite a few 25's but would like to try some 30's and others that will stabilize.
Jeff
Old 12-02-2018, 02:31 PM

I don't think you will have any chamber reamer choices with a prefit barrel, probably saami minimum spec. If you can have an altered chamber I would shorten the freebore. Factory ammo will probably not work, my current build a 22-250 I will have to go to the gs and make test loads( a buddy and I have matching barrels and the gs is going to hand finish both chambers to match) with .025 freebore saami is .075.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:45 PM

Got it hashed out and ordered a while back.
Prechambered barrels seem to have a some what odd definition. I have not dealt with a barrel supplier yet that I can't get what I want. Yes there are a few suppliers out there that have them setting on the rack waiting to ship. Some are better than others, some are no better than a factory chamber, which those seem to be luck of the draw.

So don't let a prechamber scare you from trying one.
A fellow I know that has built a few rifles ordered one a year or two ago. The quality of the work, the blank and other machine work, he said was a waste of his time to do it for what HIS supplier charged. He actually encourages folks to go with a prechamber from HIS supplier when circumstance will allow it.

Jeff