Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Default Nosler 22 hornet to 17AH?

Has anyone formed the Nosler 22 hornet cases to 17 Ackley hornet?

It is great looking brass and I had read somewhere where it is tough like the RWS brass.

Should I anneal it before forming or after? I have one of those fancy AMP annealers so it is pretty easy to do either way.

Thank you for the help, John.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:21 PM

No reason why it wouldn't work the same as any other.

I neck the .22 Hornet case down with a .17 Seater die which sizes the neck to .20cal. I then use my .17Hornet necking die to size the case neck to hold a .17cal bullet. The new, 'false' shoulder makes a tight fit for headspace.
I use the sized case full power load to fireforming.

I've never lost a case in over 500 done. When fireforming, the vel. is 34fps av. lower than in the formed case. The reason for this, is there is 'power' ie: pressure USED up in forming the case, thus, even though the unformed case is of lower capacity compared to the larger formed case, the pressure, thus vel. is lower due to energy absorbed in the forming process. Gone - used up. The result is perfect fireformed case and same accuracy in the Pac-Nor bl. as in formed brass. Same point of impact as well.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:52 PM

An update on this.

The Nosler brass must be quite hard, I formed them up with a RCBS form die, trim die and then a full length die.

Loaded a few up with 11 grains of 2200 and split shoulders right away.

Looked at the website for my AMP annealer and nobody had submitted Nosler 17AH brass to them so there were no settings listed for it. I decided to use the setting for same brass but in 22 hornet form. Same 11 grains of 2200 and split shoulders again.

Tried annealing before forming and they were getting squished a bit at the new shoulder point.

I've been looking for a reason to upgrade my annealer to their new software update called AZTEC that analyzes a piece of your brass and heats it to almost its melting point then spits out a setting that perfectly anneals that brass. Glad I did!

Loaded up ten cases with 11 grains of 2200 and bingo! perfectly formed brass.

Hope I can help someone in the future with this info, John.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:31 AM

with RWS brass annealed first or not just fire forming to 22K Hornet I have had quite a bit of the same shoulder splitting went back to Remington brass no more failure