Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-13-2019, 01:03 AM

Default Kimber Family..........223

I recently purchased a Kimber "Longmaster Classic" in 223..........Pictured in the middle of the above photo.

Well, I like it so much, that I bought it a few companions. New limited run Montana 223 (with green colored Kevlar stock).......Kimber is only making a few of these, and they discontinued the 223 chambering for the Montana this year........
I believe they also discontinued the "longmaster classic" in 223 as I can't find it on their website any longer.......so I bought another Beauty in this config to go with my first one.........Thinking rebarrel in the future to .222 (after I shoot the barrel out of one of them).
Went out today to "break in" the two new additions.
I'm sure a lucky son of a gun..........Kimber Roulette WINNER once again.

First up Kimber Montana 223

Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 AM

Next up..........

Kimber Longmaster Classic..........new rifle pictured on the right up above.

Not bad considering gusty winds/breakin/factory ammo and 40degree weather.

NOTICE The Wind Flag...........Yikes.

AND of COURSE........I "cherry picked" the groups. Both guns shoot better than I and the conditions allowed. Typical Kimber quality in my experience. I showed the best groups........but none were over 1". Great start Indeed.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 03-13-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 AM
Supporting Member

Nice looking additions, Austin. Kimber rifles are easy on the eyes, and from my experience they all shoot extremely well. I did have one in 223 a few years ago with an incredibly beautiful piece of wood attached that tried to shoot but was inconsistent based on whether the sun was shining or not...... It got traded for another Kimber with very nice wood chambered in 7MM-08 that doesn't care what the weather is like. It shoots extremely well every day.

I bought a Kimber Montana in 223 maybe 5 years ago and it is a shooter for sure. I bought it because I liked the other stainles/synthetic Montanas that I own chambered in 243 Win and 257 Roberts. Not only is the 223 Montana exceptionally accurate, but its a joy to carry with its lightweight. I truly like nice wood on a rifle and I have spent a ton of money in my lifetime procuring rifles with nice wood attached. But for me, an option such as the Montana is a very valid and practical option for "my wants and needs". (Maybe being redundant there.........)

I think you'll love both of them...whoops, I guess its at least three now?

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-13-2019, 02:22 AM

Thanks Hal.
I completely agree about the Montana, what an excellent handling little rifle. I shot it offhand at 225 yard gong today and it was really nice handling. I love a great piece of lumber, but can appreciate a well designed/rigid composite stock as well. Particularly Kimber Montana stocks and Howa Alpine (Bansner) stocks.

I have a Kimber 84 Classic 308 win that is a sweet shooter as well, not to mention beautiful.

I'm a fan.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:49 PM

Default Kimber

Nice looking/shooting rifle. Glad you found good ones.
I had a Kimber Montana in 270WSM, that wouldn’t shoot under 2” before or after I returned it to Kimber.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM

Very nice! Thanks for the nice post and pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
New limited run Montana 223 (with green colored Kevlar stock).......
Do you know how these receivers compare to others in terms of size? Is it a regular receiver, or sized to the 223?

barrett is supposedly coming out with a fieldcraft that has a mini action, but it's hard to find details about these "mini" action options and how they compare to each other.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Those are beautiful rifles--and great shooters as well. I have a two Kimber 82s, but no centerfires. Do you know from whom Kimber sources their barrels?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:42 PM

Thanks guys.

The montana I have is just the basic model 84 action. Kimber discontinued the 223 in the montana for 2019, but they had some barrels laying around "left over", so they slapped the rest of the 223 barreled actions in the new green (vs old grey) montana stock. As far as that goes, I believe everything is the same.

I'm not sure what barrel blank they are using, but all of mine......three 223 rifles and a 308m Classic all have extremely smooth and accurate barrels. Easy to clean, no fouling issues, and very accurate.

Looks to me the action "footprint" is the same for my 308 and 223's.......Kimber just left some material in the center (ejection port) on the 223's, thus giving less "room".

See pics.........

First pic is 223 Longmaster classic with Factory Fiocchi 50gr V max round

2nd pic is Kimber 308 Classic Select with the same Factory Fiocchi 50gr V max

Old 03-14-2019, 05:35 PM

Do you know from whom Kimber sources their barrels?[/quote]

If I remember correctly, the fellow/s that started Kimber's, were originally on Cooper's staff. Since that could be the case, maybe they just continued to use Wilson barrels. Just a thought. Bill K
Old 03-14-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
If I remember correctly, the fellow/s that started Kimber's, were originally on Cooper's staff. Since that could be the case, maybe they just continued to use Wilson barrels. Just a thought. Bill K
Bill, wasn't it the other way around--i.e., the fellows that started Cooper were originally on Kimber's staff? In any case, you might be right about using Wilson barrels.