Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 PM

If you Boys want data for the 270AI I would be more than happy to share it with you. R22 is THE powder that shines above the rest.

George.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Supporting Member

.17 Ackley Hornet
.243 Ackley
.257 Ackley
.257 Savage Improved

and a few others that have been given a 40 degree shoulder Though not official Ackley creations.

ML
Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM

260 ackley improved, 40 degree shoulder is my first wildcat. Still playing with it. Shot a buck last year with it. Having issues with reliable ignition. Wondering if I need to set bullets long to contact rifling, and hold the case tight in the chamber. The cartridge will go off on the second pull of the trigger, after its shoved forward in the chamber from the firing pin strike. Am I'm on the right track? This is on virgin brass still in 260 form, not fireformed.
I havent extended my OAL yet because its magazine fed, and I will have to single feed rounds to fireform. Meaning all bench shooting, and not during deer season.
Gun holds 3/4" groups at 100 yds, with a pencil thin 1-8" shilen barrel. No complaints from me if I can get it to go bang every time.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
260 ackley improved, 40 degree shoulder is my first wildcat. Still playing with it. Shot a buck last year with it. Having issues with reliable ignition. Wondering if I need to set bullets long to contact rifling, and hold the case tight in the chamber. The cartridge will go off on the second pull of the trigger, after its shoved forward in the chamber from the firing pin strike. Am I'm on the right track? This is on virgin brass still in 260 form, not fireformed.
I havent extended my OAL yet because its magazine fed, and I will have to single feed rounds to fireform. Meaning all bench shooting, and not during deer season.
Gun holds 3/4" groups at 100 yds, with a pencil thin 1-8" shilen barrel. No complaints from me if I can get it to go bang every time.
Sure sounds like excessive headspace. Did the barrel fitter set a factory barrel back a thread or what? I'm guessing someone reamed the AI reamer into the factory chamber and did not set the barrel back....instance excessive headspace. Did my first one that way intentionally but I don't think it's advisable now as somebody will get the rifle after you and not know how to form cases. It should have some 'feel' with a factory standard round chambered and ignition will be just as good as factory chamber was.
Seating a bullet into the rifling is one way but something is wrong and that should not be necessary.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Supporting Member

Default I sure would~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgieBoy View Post
If you Boys want data for the 270AI I would be more than happy to share it with you. R22 is THE powder that shines above the rest.

George.
It might save me some time and metal work : )
alan3836@att.net
Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 AM

It was a custom barrel cut by a gunsmith for me, no previous chamber, fresh blank. Cases don't show excess pressure, primers look good. Still think excessive headspace? Would the gun group well with that type of problem?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 AM

Alan
The only rifle I have close to an Ackley is my 6TCU.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Supporting Member

Default yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
It was a custom barrel cut by a gunsmith for me, no previous chamber, fresh blank. Cases don't show excess pressure, primers look good. Still think excessive headspace? Would the gun group well with that type of problem?
Yes it still sounds like [can't know for sure without gun in hand] excessive headspace, and gun can still group well, and there would be no excess pressure signs OTHER THAN....sometimes a primer will come back out of the case head 'some' when fired in an excess headspace chamber. Then the case reaches high pressure during powder burn, and the case will either SLIDE back to reseat the primer, or STRETCH at the web and reseat the primer. The STRETCH is not good and can lead to case failure. That is one reason why correct headspace is important. The "appearance" of high pressure sometimes occurs when the Reseated primer gets it's edges flattened - when reseated it seems the pressure blows the primer walls out a tad and they get a 'flattened' look during the reseating. Always check the edges of the firing pin indent, they usually show rounded edges from regular pressure. If the edges of the firing pin dent are also flat then you do have a high pressure sign!
There seems to be evidence of excess headspace. Could be the chamber, and could be the brass. Did you size the brass in preparation for loading it? If you ran it all the way or at least 'too far' into the full length sizeing die it's possible to have sized it too small in length. If you did size it, take an UNsized case if you still have one, and see how it fits in the chamber with no primer/powder/bullet. Should be at least 'some' feel of resistance when the bolt is almost closed/bolt handle turned down.
Your ammo is not being held against the bolt's face when chambered from what you've described.
IF the chamber was cut too deep then the barrel should be removed, face and shoulder of barrel cut back a predetermined amount [too provide correct headspace when refit back to action].
Try to find a box of FACTORY loaded ammo and see how it fits. Best way is too REMOVE THE FIRING PIN from the bolt so that no other interference is felt when chambering a round. Still, even though firing pin is out, treat the gun as if it COULD FIRE anytime inserting a live round.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 06-20-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM

at this time...

a 223 ackley
Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
It might save me some time and metal work : )
alan3836@att.net
Check your mail box Mate.

George.