Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2013, 02:55 AM

Default 17HH staked brass?

From what I've been reading Hornady is staking their 17 HH brass due to primer pocket problems. I've seen it posted that Hornady is stating not to reload the brass. I've reloaded military brass in the pass and just ran the brass though a primer pocket swager and then uniformed the pockets. Wouldn't the same process work with the 17 HH staked brass? So far all the 17HH I've bought hasn't been staked and haven't had any issues reloading it.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Supporting Member

Default staked....

I assumed the same...that one could remove the crimps or 'staked' area as in reloading military brass the first time.
However if Hornady says 'no' then there must be a reason[?]. I bought a box of ammo without thinking to look inside and found that I have a box of crimped primer ammo. Now I won't be reloading it unless Hornady changes their recommendation.
I've not shot my new CZ 17HH Varmint. Love the rifle, still wondering about where the brass issues are going with Hornady.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 AM

Unless some other reason comes out, it sounds like this might be sort of a "CYA" on Hornady's part. If I were in possession of some of these staked primer empties, I'd take a VLD case mouth reamer to the staked area just a little and reload them carefully.

On the other hand, if what they're marketing is "throwaway" brass, I'd go the route of reforming .22 Hornet brass for a .17HH.

This ought to prove to be interesting!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Supporting Member

Default crimp...

the crimp or 'stake' looks to be very light but I've not shot a round yet to be able to see how much resistance is there when depriming.
I don't think Winchester 22 Hornet brass is going to be a good fit in the CZ 17HH chamber I have. Hornady or PRIVI brass looks to be a few thousanths larger in body diameter at the head area and the CZ chamber reflects that.
Might just be that Hornady brass is not 'oversize', more like Winchester brass is 'undersize'.
There are some valuable charts posted here on Saubier showing case measurements and brand/manufacturer differences in 17HH and 22 Hornet cases.
I'm wondering what Hornady will produce 'after' the staked primer ammo. Surely something will change as ammo that Hornady recommends to 'not reload' won't go very far.
The Hornady recommendation to not reload staked ammo came in a post here when someone [forgot who] talked to a Hornady rep and not from my personal talk with a Hornady rep - just to be accurate.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 08-21-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:20 PM

FWIW
I had a rather long talk with a Horn. tech last week regarding the 17HH ammo ; He said to treat the staked pockets like military crimped brass and use them ; He also said the "new" cases are out now -- though I sure have seen no signs of that...
Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 PM

I was guessing that Hornady was only trying to "CYA" on reloading staked brass.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Supporting Member

Hornady is staking these primer pockets to address the tapered pocket issue, primer leakage and primers backing out. The military stake their primers for toughness in semi and full auto guns and to assist waterproofing.

If you are going to reload this defective brass you may encounter these problems unless you have some way of squaring up and fixing the primer pockets. I have a bunch of loaded ammo I bought because it was cheaper than buying empty brass. I do however want it for reloading so, if it is staked, or otherwise not up to snuff, I am going to have Hornady swap me for non-defective ammo. This stuff is expensive enough I have no intention of accepting substandard stuff.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John56 View Post
From what I've been reading Hornady is staking their 17 HH brass due to primer pocket problems. I've seen it posted that Hornady is stating not to reload the brass. I've reloaded military brass in the pass and just ran the brass though a primer pocket swager and then uniformed the pockets. Wouldn't the same process work with the 17 HH staked brass? So far all the 17HH I've bought hasn't been staked and haven't had any issues reloading it.
I have seen an number of warnings posted here about problems with the 17HH and references to warnings from Hornady.

Anybody got a link to the warnings from Hornady they can post, because I sure can't find them.

I can find the 17HMR warnings, but nothing on the 17HH
Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Supporting Member

Hornady has no warnings announced.

What I and a few others have experienced, and called Hornady to ask for help and suggestions, is, in my humble opinion, due to the ammunition being loaded too hot for a hot day or barrel/ ammunition that is very warm.

I think most that have had blown primers, ie leakers up to and including a stuck case and a blown primer, were in hot temperatures.

I do have a local to me guy with a contender who was surprised at my suggestion there is a problem, then he admitted he had leaking, sooted brass bases, reloaded the ammo without any issues, but remember, every reloader has different experiences and quality control of reloads is not scientific data to rely on. Someone who puts a primer back in a sooted case, is, in my experience, asking for trouble.

I only fired 5 rounds of factory, non crimped ( staked) AMMO AND #5 had the primer nearly fall out, and the same primer , which is larger than a new primer, went in without any effort so I know the case is toast, and 1 out of 5 is pretty bad, IMHO.

Allen
Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Banned

Default Primer pocket issue !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Hornady has no warnings announced.

What I and a few others have experienced, and called Hornady to ask for help and suggestions, is, in my humble opinion, due to the ammunition being loaded too hot for a hot day or barrel/ ammunition that is very warm.

I think most that have had blown primers, ie leakers up to and including a stuck case and a blown primer, were in hot temperatures.

I do have a local to me guy with a contender who was surprised at my suggestion there is a problem, then he admitted he had leaking, sooted brass bases, reloaded the ammo without any issues, but remember, every reloader has different experiences and quality control of reloads is not scientific data to rely on. Someone who puts a primer back in a sooted case, is, in my experience, asking for trouble.

I only fired 5 rounds of factory, non crimped ( staked) AMMO AND #5 had the primer nearly fall out, and the same primer , which is larger than a new primer, went in without any effort so I know the case is toast, and 1 out of 5 is pretty bad, IMHO.

Allen
This issue just seems to keep comming back. Hornady are still putting it off as a primer pocket issue and some on this forum seem to be ignoring the real issue. I first posted my email message to Hornady on this thread:http://http://www.saubier.com/forum/...t=22771&page=8

I have yet to receive a response from the hornady techs. This morning I took pictures to show the problem. While it may take more than one post to post them I think this pressure problem has to be recognized and understood. While I do not have a new case, sold them all, to take a picture of the web measured 0.2805 t0 0.281" in the extractor groove. The first picture is of the first round fired at 33.5 degrees Celsius showing about 0.001" web expansion[IMG][/IMG]
The second shot expanded the web by about 0.002" as the chamber warmed up.
[IMG][/IMG]
Third shot at 0.003" expansion. [IMG][/IMG]

The 4 & 5 shots showed similar expansion with about 0.005" expansion. It is a wonder that the primers stayed in but like Allan noted, the brass was toast.
[IMG][/IMG]

On the 6 the shot the primer blew. As I can only post 4 pictures/thread I will post the results on the next thread.