Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 03-29-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyWerben View Post
I had read somewhere where Winchester brass was easier to form due to it being thinner - I tried some R-P cases when forming brass since they weighed the same. My first practice case forming experimentation was with range pickup S-B brass. I refined my methods on this brass and in inspection of the final product, its water capacity was significantly less than the LC formed or 221 necked down. The SB was only used for forming practice. Internal water volume on the WW and RP brass was very close or the same as LC or 221 brass (I didn't record the numbers).

32 grain Z-Max bullet. Looking closely the stuck case was R-P. The one last year was either LC or Norma FB brass. The neck thickness on the stuck case is similar to my other neck turned brass so I don't think I missed turning the neck. All cases trimmed appropriately.

Wouldn't sticky extraction or flattened primers show up before sticking a case or blowing a primer?

Headspace - would too little cause the issue? I will measure each one before loading to verifty.

Thanks -I will back off a little on the charge.
Since Western Powders' load data is pressure tested, I would pay attention to the velocity as you work-up your load. You are using a different case and bullet than those used by Western, so your max load may come at a different powder charge. Stop when you reach Western's max velocity or max powder charge, whichever comes first.

Also, foxhunter mentioned neck thickness. What rifle are you using? Do you know the neck diameter of your chamber? If you are turning the necks, you might be a little close on the fit of some cases.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoHead View Post
Since Western Powders' load data is pressure tested, I would pay attention to the velocity as you work-up your load. You are using a different case and bullet than those used by Western, so your max load may come at a different powder charge. Stop when you reach Western's max velocity or max powder charge, whichever comes first.

Also, foxhunter mentioned neck thickness. What rifle are you using? Do you know the neck diameter of your chamber? If you are turning the necks, you might be a little close on the fit of some cases.
Thanks to all - I am fairly new to wildcatting.
R700, Criterion Remage barrel 0.232 neck. I turned the necks to end up with 0.228-0.229 loaded diameter. Trimmed to 1.395. Second firing neck sized and headspace datum checked.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:25 AM

Default 20 vt

I had one at 20.3 and just moved it down to 20 for pressure reasons. In two other's, I'm also at 20, the forth one seems to like 19.8 with 32vmax but 19gr with 40vmax's is shooting better for the moment. but Ive only had it to the range three times so not done with load devolpment.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:15 AM

Exclamation Harold......

I didn't know you were now shooting a belted 20VT!!!

But then, I didn't know I was shooting a belted 17PPC.......until I did!!!
I was breaking-in the barrel, at the time.

Kevin
Old 04-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoHead View Post

Spot on. A Chronograph is the BEST pressure test method available to the average reloader. By the time you get ejector marks or flat primers you are already quite a ways over max pressure, when you get blown primers, loose primer pockets and stuck cases you are WAY OVER a safe pressure range. When you get to max published velocity, stop adding powder. If you get to max load first, stop there.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
I didn't know you were now shooting a belted 20VT!!!

Kevin
I shoot a rimmed version

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-03-2019, 11:25 PM

In my experience 2200 is a different animal, doesn't have the classic peaky pressure curve of a stick powder, it seems to have a very wide pressure curve that you only see visual indicators when you are well over what it will handle.

CCI 400's will let you know when you are above 50K psi (nearly blanked, flattened edges), then switch primers and work up carefully.

20VT is a 60Kpsi rated cartridge, when none of the parent brass rounds go 60K. Might partially be the reason a book load shows issues.