Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 PM

I was not bashing Wilson barrels, read my post please. My gunsmith trued my action and left the chamber as is. I think there might have been a time when in the early days the machine work on the actions might not have been the best. Do some research on the early cooper varmint rifles in 17 Mach 4 and I believe you will find there were a lot returned for accuracy issues. I was interested because my cases extracted with a scratch on the shoulder. I was just curious.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Supporting Member

jlauer, you totally right, Cooper had problems with the 17M4 chamber. Doug and several others I know had guns that wouldn't shoot but Cooper did fix them. I refused to send my back and forth like Doug did. I had Eddie rechamber it to the 17 Jav Imp for a fire form barrel. Ended up giving it to GW , barrel shoots quite well as the 17 JI. Cooper had a crappy reamer for the 17M4, at least at the time frame I bought mine(2004).
Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauer View Post
I was not bashing Wilson barrels, read my post please. My gunsmith trued my action and left the chamber as is. I think there might have been a time when in the early days the machine work on the actions might not have been the best. Do some research on the early cooper varmint rifles in 17 Mach 4 and I believe you will find there were a lot returned for accuracy issues. I was interested because my cases extracted with a scratch on the shoulder. I was just curious.
I did read it, and it is true that some 14 M4 rifles did have accuracy problems. Not all however. I own an original and it has been pristine from the time I bought it until today. In addition, in those times, Cooper bent over backwards to solve the issues that some had with any rifle that they built. I've bought a bunch of Coopers over the years and any issues have been handled quickly and efficiently. No company is perfect.

More used Cooper have been butchered by owners and their favorite smith than time can relate over the years, but even with those rifles, Cooper worked to make them right at the time. I doubt that would be the case today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauer View Post
Interesting. I bought a cooper varmint years ago. The rifle was used and a real disappointment. About 2 in groups. Research said that the early barrels were made by wilson and cooper had some problems. Your post was interesting because I have the same marks on my fired brass. I took the rifle to a friend of mine who happens to do rifles for the FBI to have him re-chamber it. He showed me that the bolt didn't seat properly and the whole action was really poorly done. He saw no reason to re-chamber the rifle. Does your bolt seat soundly? I've got 5 other coopers and they shoot lights out. I'm not out to bash Cooper.
???????????????

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 05-21-2019, 04:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

BCB:

You got that last part right about Cooper even fixing
early rifles that had been even rechambered.
Like the VR I got from foxhunter. Took 'em a mighty long time
but, they did what they could.
Even though I sent 10 fired cases so they could set the chamber.
They didn't do that and I had to have it recut.

Since by then I'd had the NEF project working again. Took 'em both
and had them both chambered to match.

At least they tried. Lots better than many would do.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-21-2019, 05:04 PM

Guess shoulda done my homework rather than an impulse buy. The rifle in almost new condition to the eye for 700, I thought it was worth it for the action and stock, just replace the barrel.

Win some, lose some. Time goes on.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:27 PM

The early Coopers in 17MachIV were S/N starting with VGXXXX. Call them and ask about your rifle. I have three Coopers (22Hornet, 221FB and .223Rem) of that vintage ('98 -'03) that all shoot really well with their Wilson barrels.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
Guess shoulda done my homework rather than an impulse buy. The rifle in almost new condition to the eye for 700, I thought it was worth it for the action and stock, just replace the barrel.

Win some, lose some. Time goes on.
I'll take it off your hands for you. Have a Cooper M4 take off barrel sitting doing nothing.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Jim that might make two of us ...........

Thanks TinMan, might be good news, my 21's serial begins with VG.

Feeling too punk to tear it apart yet, maybe in the coming days........

A bit later than this posting, I emailed the Cooper outfit inquiring about neck diameters if they could provide or not............and touched on the bright scratch routine. My interfaces with company repair in general has been dismal to say the least, not sure why I did it now, but trying to keep the faith as to conversation at least.

Last edited by rick w.; 05-21-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barker View Post
I'll take it off your hands for you. Have a Cooper M4 take off barrel sitting doing nothing.
Hi Jim,
If this doesn’t work out for you I might be interested in your Mach IV barrel. Is it from a Model 21 or a Model 38? I have a Model 38 that I would like a Mach IV barrel for.

If interested in moving it PM me a price.

Thanks.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 05-23-2019, 01:48 PM

I got a return email from Cooper very promptly, refreshing in these times of customer interface for me.

I was told what the 17MachIV neck diameter should be. There was a short discussion on the ejector as well; possibles for specific environment requirements, food for thought.

Cooper was a great help in my query.