Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 04-09-2019, 03:50 PM

Default One Step Closer to Keeping This a .17 Javelina

Quite fortuitously, I happened to find Lapua .222 brass in stock at Midway and ordered up 200 rounds. Since I had the loan of the forming dies, I thought it wise to do as much forming with them as possible before returning them. So, I limbered up my right arm and went to work. I initially had intentions of having the grand kids help, in an assembly line, of sorts, but there is no way either of them would have the arm strength to help, and the lube definitely needed to be applied in just the right amount and just the right intervals, so no help from the kiddos.

The Harrell BR press is probably not the ideal press for heavy forming, but it worked fine. The first step, pushing the shoulder back and slightly sizing the neck down, was definitely more labor intensive than the second step of downsizing the neck to just short of the final .17:

After about two hours, all 200 cases came out without any dents or other deformation. I know 200 cases doesn't sound like much, but I was glad to be finished and now dread the cut-off/trimming step, that will likely take much longer and probably require several sessions...now I remember why I have focused on rimfires for the last 10 years :

Now, I think I'll finish up 50 of these and load them up and head to the range again.

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 04-09-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:27 PM

Not sure what’s happening to the formatting???
Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 PM

The problem is your pictures are too large. They are both sized at 4032 x 3024 pixels.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 PM

I suppose you're right, but they were taken the same way with the same camera and sent at the same resolution as all the previous pics before. I even downsized the pics and reposted them, to no avail
Fixed it, but now the pics are too small. Good enough.

Last edited by Teddy Bear Rat; 04-09-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:04 PM

Default What a beautiful rifle TBR...

Thanks for taking us along on your latest excursion into small caliber shooting.
Making 17Javelina is definitely a “labor of love”but I would say it is surely worth it.I have shot some coyotes and pd’s with the Kindler 27 grain out of my 17 Javelina and can say that it is plenty of gun for the job.I have 100 loaded rounds for my Cooper and have formed 200 more cases,still waiting on the right day for the trimming operation
Matt
Old 04-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Supporting Member

Yes, beautiful rifle, and such an awesome cartridge!!!

Someday I hope to shoot a 17 Jav but for now the 17 Jav Imp will suffice; it happens to be one of my most favorite larger 17s having an edge on the 17-222 because of similar velocity with less powder.

Case forming is probably one reason I shoot some oddball rounds, I really enjoy it but have screwed up many cases over the years learning what does and doesn’t work. Just last night I made a dumb mistake forming 218 Bee brass from new Starline 32-20 brass but have learned not to get to worried about loosing a case here and there.

Very nice tutorial you have here to help the next guy which is what it’s all about. Thanks!