Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 PM

Default .17 MG is alive!

Barrel arrived back from MGM exactly 5 weeks from when I shipped it. Chamber looks great, and they engraved the new caliber on the barrel and re-blued it as well. Total cost was $90 including shipping the barrel out to them.

I was so anxious to try it that I temporarily assembled it with a forend that didn't fit and a 6-18 Bushnell scope in ugly rings. First two rounds hit paper at 100 yds. Adjusted the scope and fired a 3 round group that measured 9/16". Fired cases look good, no pressure signs with my initial guestimated load. Can't wait to get the chronograph out and work up a proper load for it, but so far so good. Will take pics in the next day or two and get them up here. Thanks for all the advice along the way!

Patrick
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Supporting Member

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?
If the bullets are going in the same hole, are you going to change the load that worked so good?
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM

Any chance we can get a picture of a case? This is based on a .38 special right?

Aaron
Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 PM

Default Based on .357 Mag, slightly shortened

I posted a few pics on a previous thread, but here they are again.

Next to 17 HMR and 17 HM2

Forming steps to get there

Case ended up 1.265" long. Hoping to chrono some starting loads this afternoon, maybe can take some pics as well. Need to finish making a new forend that fits the barrel better and rides a rest better. I just finished making a hangar bar to mount a new forend that will hopefully let it behave better off a rest than the current setup.

Patrick
Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Supporting Member

9 steps = more chances to screw up your brass. You did good!
And with all that work, guard each and every one of them with your life!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Supporting Member

Nice job of forming Patrick, good looking case too.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM

I kind of enjoy the case forming. I did a batch on Winchester brass and only lost 3 out of 100, so it goes pretty smoothly. I haven't weight sorted, so I might toss a few more. Still haven't finished the new forend, and probably won't get to chrono until this weekend now, but will update here when I do. Looking for 3800 with 25 Vmax and 4000 with the 20s.

Patrick
Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Supporting Member

You Sir do good work, very nice.

Tom
Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 AM

I appreciate the kind words. I started planning this right around the time I bought my copy of Kindler's Sensational 17s, which was while in college in '99. Pretty fulfilling to touch off a round of your own design, formed in dies you made yourself. I figure I've only got about $240 in this, $430 if you count the cost of the .223 barrel I traded for the .17 HMR barrel that ended up being the MG. Of course, if you add up my time and price it at minimum wage it's probably closer to a gazillion dollars! Hopefully I can have a good load worked up before September, when we go shoot prairie dogs. Won't seem complete until it whacks a little critter or two.

Patrick
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Supporting Member

Awesome! nice looking and I bet it shoots as good as it looks! I really like the looks of it!!

I have a big brother to this guy(17 WS) made from 357 Max shorten up some but longer than the 17 Jet. Kind of have a little brother also (17 SM) , case capacity of the HM2 but gets HMR velocity. It is off of the CCM brass

I also made my own form dies and enjoy case forming. Flip side to 9 steps = more chances to screw up, any less steps may increase the chances

I'd say you done good at pickling out a starting load!!!! What powder you using?

Looking forward to seeing more reports on it like velocity, first blood and more!