Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 07-25-2007, 09:32 AM

Default .20 Vartag

I am looking at having a 20Vartag or 17AH to replace my factory 22.250 as a light 200 yard carry rifle.

Aside from the custom option we have Cooper doing both in the model 38 and Dakota offering teh .20 Vartag in their Predator model.

I have been generally quite impressed by posts from Dan Cooper on the rimfire centeral forum covering quality issues but I am the other side of the pond therefore a quality issue would take several months to resolve. I have seen several threads on bedding compounds that were to soft. Their model 38 seems a nice rifle, light in Classic form so suitabal as a carry rifle. Downside is I had a quite curt reply from Cooper when I enquired about neck size and timber upgrades.

Dakota, they do the Vartag in their Predator range. They seem to have gone bust then restarted, a lovelly looking rifle, using a Nesika action but very expensive when compared to Cooper. Getting into the custom area pricewise. At 9lbs plus scope it is also pretty heavy, maybe to heavy to carry but I can apprecaite that it is built as a varmint rifle. What is the current state of play with Dakota?, I have had no response at all from their UK agent on prices but he may be away on holiday I suppose.

Thanks for your thoughts

A
Old 07-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Supporting Member

Dakota scares me with their business practices. a fine rifle no doubt but you have have a couple Coopers for that price. I weighed my model 21 classic in .20 tactical last night no rings/ bases or scope. right at 7 lbs. This classic model seems to have a heavier barrel more like my varmint contour Coopers than my model 38 had.

Michael
Old 07-26-2007, 02:50 AM

I've had great success with my Coopers. Accurate and attractive
Scott
Old 07-26-2007, 05:24 PM

The Cooper I have handled a varmint in 6BR is a lovelly bit of kit and shoots very well. Hard to argue with the price either but if I go .17AH I may build a custom on a CZ action as a friend that also posts here has done.

Thanks for your replies.

A