Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 11-08-2015, 03:16 PM

Default 17 Hornet Hornady Brass Issues

I loaded up some 17 Hornet loads for my new Ruger, using rem 6-1/2 primers. After test firing, I discovered that gas had leaked by some of the primers even though the loads were mild. I miked up an assortment of primers, and the BR-4 primers seemed a little larger, so I tried them, and no more leakage. I had used 6-1/2 primers from this lot in my 22 Hornet, with no issues at all, and they work fine in 22 Hornet brass that has been formed to 17 Hornet. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:57 AM

I use 6 1/2 also and have not run into leaking primers. Is this fired brass or new brass? I have four boxes of new brass I haven't used yet.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Supporting Member

Early 17 Hornady Hornet brass did have problems with their brass and I believe at least some of the problems had to do with primer pockets as well.
Hornady has fixed the problems they were having with their brass since then, I'm pretty sure.
Sorry I can't be more specific about the problem as at the time this was going on I didn't own a 17 Hornet and didn't pay great deal of attention to it.

Lots of 17HH lovers here that I am sure will give you the skinny on 17HH brass to date.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:50 PM

first runs off brass had pocket primer problems , getting larger after everyshot i still get it in some off my first batch, the new brass i have dosent seem to have the problem , i hope this helps
Old 11-09-2015, 09:14 PM

The early brass had concave heads on it, as it was fired and the head hammered out flat the primer pockets belled out and the primers get loose in them. All the Remington primers, 6 1/2 and 7 1/2, have primer cups that are way softer than the CCI BR4's and 450's have even though the thickness of the cup material is the same. Remington 7 1/2's would pierce and flow while the CCI's showed no sign of any problem at all in my 17-204. Larry
Old 11-09-2015, 11:08 PM

Larry is right.

I had a slight issue where the Remington 6 1/2 were getting pin holes in them from my CZ527. The hole was so tiny it was hard to tell. All the new 17HH brass seems fine to me.

Take a hard look at your firing pin to see if there is anything but smooth going on.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:24 AM

This is new brass and the gas is leaking around the primers, not through them. The 6-1/2 primers go into the pockets too easily, and the BR4 primers provide more resistance, because they are slightly larger. These same 6-1/2 primers worked fine in my 22 hornet.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:50 PM

The Ruger has a 2 piece bolt, maybe its slop in the bolt?

Just a guess.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
The Ruger has a 2 piece bolt, maybe its slop in the bolt?

Just a guess.
Not the issue, the issue isn't headspace, there is no issue with slightly larger diameter primers in the same cases.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:36 PM

How about just not use the Remington's, problem solved. Or test a different lot of brass.

I use rem 6 1/2 with formed 22H privi cases with no issues. Haven't even tried the Hornady brass yet. They measure out perfect and don't have the "cupped" head.

I have read that the Remington 6 1/2 are very soft. Could it be possible that the pressure from the 17HH is causing leakage? The 22 Hornet is putting out about 43,000 and the 17 hornet is putting out 48,000 according to Hodgdon load data.

Just an observation.

Last edited by Jingle; 11-11-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Tags
d leaked by