Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2018, 07:21 PM

I have the same setup right down to the yo-dave kit. Have killed groundhogs out to over 225 yds (head shots) and squirrels at 130 yds again with headshots. Mine likes 17gr vmax. I think they are a great gun.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dan Brothers Send a message via MSN to Dan Brothers Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Brothers

AlbertaAl... I see two major problems that you have.... One... that Beautiful Rifle is yours and not mine......... and........ the second one is that I'm not up there helping you shoot all those coyotes.... LOL.... But other than those two problems..... I think you are Blessed in Many Ways... keep on shooting that Great Rifle.

PS.... I also truly love the glass on those bushnell 4200 scopes. I have two that are more clear on their 32 power than my two high dollar vortex scopes are on their max of 24 power. Those 4200's are all I would shoot ... IF... they had a good turret adjustment system.... that is the only reason i went to the vortex.

Last edited by Dan Brothers; 03-16-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:39 PM
Banned

Default Cz 17

Varmint shooter, I'm glad you posted that on the long range kills! I've seen mostly on the net, on the 17 Hmr only being a hundred yard cartridge ! And to that I say bull! Me an my buddy's have killed crows out to 234yd!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:26 AM
Supporting Member

very nice

You guys might not believe this but when I purchased my first CZ 17 HMR when they first came out I had an option. One that looked identical to this in the forearm but not the buttstock andcyhe other was much more plain.

I didn’t like the fiddleback and the shop owner kept bugging me about it telling me I’d never regret it and someday would come to enjoy the fiddleback

Finaly I said ok (I was tiered of talking andcwsnted to leave) I’ll take the fiddleback.

He wrote it up and out the door I went. I didn’t get out the door and he came running after me saying he write the wrong one up and I had the plainer wood. Begged me to come in and he’d figure something out. I said too late I got the one I really wanted lol
Old 03-17-2018, 01:29 AM

Al, those game points are great, especially for anything where you need a little deeper penetration such as jack rabbit size game. The 17 grain vmax give me better accuracy when shooting for a small target like ground squirells, but they all work well. I really like the winchester loads, but never buy any ammo with Remmington on it. I bought my 17hmr the first year that they came out and it was so much fun that it got be back into shooting. I am a real rimfire fan and have 3 CZ rimfire rifles along with many other. I recently ordered a the new Tikka tx1 rimfire in 22lr and am real anxious for it to arrive sometime in April or May. I have to take a different position on those using the 17hmr at very long distances, however. I have found that I can hit prairie dogs between 150 and 200 yards, but it is just not a clean kill over 150 yards. Animals will crawl off to die later. I don't feel that that is ethical hunting, so I don't use it on game past about 150 yards. Others may have different ethics while hunting, but as a sportsman I feel that even prairie dogs, rabbits, crows, etc. should be killed humanely. I am not a good enough shot to guarantee head shots at the longer distances. Because the HMR shoots so well, a scope with power from 16x to 24x can get you the most out of this super fun cartridge. I hope you have a blast with it. Burt
Old 03-17-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brothers View Post
AlbertaAl... I see two major problems that you have.... One... that Beautiful Rifle is yours and not mine......... and........ the second one is that I'm not up there helping you shoot all those coyotes.... LOL.... But other than those two problems..... I think you are Blessed in Many Ways... keep on shooting that Great Rifle.

PS.... I also truly love the glass on those bushnell 4200 scopes. I have two that are more clear on their 32 power than my two high dollar vortex scopes are on their max of 24 power. Those 4200's are all I would shoot ... IF... they had a good turret adjustment system.... that is the only reason i went to the vortex.
I am always looking for the 4200 scopes with the fine chrosshairs for my squeak guns. I love those 4200s.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:59 AM
Supporting Member

Good point Burt about clean kills. The strange thing I noticed shooting my 17 CCM using the 17 gr vmax is even at extended distance it would hit a Pd and it would die in its tracks like it went to sleep? Where as at closer range and a little more dramatic hits had some kicking before expiring. I was alaways amazed by that
Old 03-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Banned

Default Cz 17 hmr

I never asked a crow how he felt after getting hit by a 17gr V max. But I'll tell you this. A lot of the flopping around is just nerves! He's dead! And we will probably never agree on how far we need to be shooting the hmr on varmints. But on one thing we can agree. The 17 Hmr makes one hell of a truck rifle !!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Beautiful rifle and may it shoot as good as it looks, I've owned several CZ's in .17hmr and have yet to own one that would't do MOA at least to 100 yards, I've never put one on paper beyond that. If I know 200 yards is on the agenda I grab my 527 in .22 H or now the 527V in .17 HH. Man has to know his limitations. Montdoug some of those folks will pass off the group of their lifetime as a everyday occurrence, if even that.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Beauty rifle and 172 coyotes is quite a season! What rifles did you use?