Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Robinett View Post
I [mostly] agree with George - I perfer a full 0.001" of stretch, and often, depending upon the point-up die, my finished bullets exhibit a "frost-line"; on the cored (non-pointed) jacket, there will be a visible difference between the expanded diameter (cored portion) and the empty jacket, above the core, which will become the nose-cavity. RG
My method is word for word the same as Randys.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Supporting Member

Since I haven't set any dies yet how hard is the loosen and turn method of adjusting dies?

Does anyone use die shims like Sinclair sells?.........Ian
Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
Does anyone use die shims like Sinclair sells?.........Ian
I do. -Al
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Supporting Member

I recommend them but its not all that hard to adjust the other way. i'm pretty sure someone else on hear uses an o-ring to tweak final adjustments. that would work good for me also. the only down side to the o-ring from my viewpoint is I grind faces of nut square to the threads so when nut is locked down cavity will be square to press george
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the answers George and Randy.

There was a post on Benchrest.com a while back about the height of lead in the jacket, this was bought up when the discussion was about the Berger Column bullets.

Do dies or jackets have a "sweet spot" where the ideal lead height makes a more accurate bullet?

If so what determines the correct height, the jacket, shape of the bullet??

George are you going to make any more of the presses you made? Randy beat me to one a while back.....Ian
Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Supporting Member

Ian, personally I don't buy into the column theory I do believe that j4 got tired of chasing the weight of jackets and just made cores a certain weight and let the jackets fall where ever they do. I did this years ago they just can't seem to get lot to lot consistency. if you look at the light 30's the core isn't much longer than a pea. just enough to get into ogive and lock in place sooo they are way to the rear of bullet for c.o.g. 6's run further up to help get weight higher and increase b.c. . I have checked some seated cores and they run around 66% to 75% in relation to length of jacket. I would stay close to the standard weight area for jacket used. I don't see any presses in the near future i'm going to be down pretty much all summer with neck surgery and ed isn't doing anything but working to much. george
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Supporting Member

George, for 6mm bullets have you found that .790 jackets make a better bullet than the .825's
I have heard a few bullet makers say that they do.......I'm trying to decide what length jackets I buy. The bullets I make will be for my own use. Ian
Old 04-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Supporting Member

Ian, that would be according to what twist rate you are using.but I personally prefer sierra 810's which is actually the same as a .790 it just has a more domed base.so yes I prefer the shorter jackets and stay with a 13 or 13.5 twist. george
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Supporting Member

George, how come you use a 13 - 13.5 twist barrel. I've mostly used 14tw with mostly bullets made on .825 jackets.

Why do you prefer a faster twist with shorter bullets? Also what style (fb or bt) and weight bullet do you make using the shorter jacket?

I saw a while ago Lester had some Sierra jackets for sale, but haven't seen any recently. Are the Sierra jackets available elsewhere?.....Ian
Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Supporting Member

ian, with a 14 twist and .825 your stabilization factor is around 1.1-1.2 we are looking for 1.5 shorter jackets give better sf # .I know lots of great aggs. and records have been shot using 14 twist and .825's, on the other hand with people buying 20-30 to 50 barrels a year I often wondered if they changed their bullet length and twist if they might not have to buy so many to find that one great one. george