Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Projectile Jackets

My shooting mate and I have ordered a set of dies to make our own hunting and varminting projectiles. What we need is details of other jacket makers besides J4? We will be using J4's but want a cheaper jacket just for general hunting. Does anybody have any contact details for projectile jacket makers ?
Pete
Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Supporting Member

Corbin and Blackmon make jackets for sale as well as Seirra. Check Bruno shooters supply web site as well as Corbins. For me I would buy the Seirra or stick with the J4. Going to need a bunch of punches if switching between jackets.

Mike
Old 09-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Supporting Member

I'm with mike, hard to beat J4 or sierra. I assume the cost to get them to you is fairly high. I've only used J4 and have never had any issues, but not a whole lot less expensive than buying factory bullets.

Michael
Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM

Jackets are the "hard to get" item in the equation. As said, Corbin, Sierra, and J4 are the common sources. Butch Harrifield also has some, mainly pistol, I got the email from Richard Corbin (rceco.com) and don't have it with me. Richard has just introduced reloading press dies for .22, .24 and .30...

b). You can make less expensive jackets out of fired cases. It does involve work. Annealing is critical. The fact is that Hornady and Speer both got started (working together in Lincoln NE USA briefly, I'm told) making varmint bullets out of fired .22 Rimfire cases. Ray Sisk, TX, did it too. And RCBS stands for Rock Chucker Bullet Swages. Mr. Huntington made dies with which to make your own bullets, then expanded. If "cheap" is important, this is probably the way to look. Info is available free in the downloadable books on Dave Corbins site(s), corbins.com, swage.com, bulletswage.com, etc. luck
Old 09-06-2007, 03:34 AM
Supporting Member

I prefer the Sierra jackets over Corbin and J-4.

As mentioned, you may need several punches for the different jackets.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Projectile Jackets

Thanks guys for all the reply's.
vmthtr in Green Bay, we knew Corbin made equipment to make your own jackets but have decided not to go down that road. We have not heard of Blackmon so if anyone has contact details for them that would be appreciated. I did a very quick search on the net but did not find them.

Mntngoat, yes your right it is not only the initial purchase cost but getting them into Australia which is expensive.

iiranger, we have discussed using old 22 cases but have given that idea a miss because we have been told that the dies do not last long enough for our needs. Besides we would not have the time to make jackets as well as projectiles and shoot as well.

Bayou City Boy, we have not tried the Sierra jackets as yet, but we are already set up the 6mm projectiles to use J4's.

As some of you have mentioned we may also need to acquire extra punches which is something else we need to investigate.

Again Many thanks
Pete
Old 09-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Supporting Member

Pete, Larry Blackmon is Bullet Swaging Supply Inc, 318-387-7257 and leblackmon@colla.com. I stopped in and talked to him on our way our west this summer, very good guy to talk with. Bullet swaging dies is a part time thing for him. He makes his own reamers, everything.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 PM

iiranger, we have discussed using old 22 cases but have given that idea a miss because we have been told that the dies do not last long enough for our needs. Besides we would not have the time to make jackets as well as projectiles and shoot as well.

I see you have Mr. Blackmon's contact info.

b). Mr. Dave corbin, [corbins.com or swage.com] has a couple of his books online for review, study or download. Dies do not last long enough? Forever is not long enough? He does indicate you might need a new punch every 10,000 cases... Of course, if you make mistakes... not the dies fault. With the availability of the .22 Rimfire Mag cases ... It is in the books (which are without pictures... awwww...) You got to be happy. That time thing is a consideration. luck.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Sierra vs. J4

Depends on your intended use, for extreme accuracy there is really only one choice at this time - J4. I wish that there were others but I am not aware of any others. I do know that all of the competitive bullet makers in the states are using j4 jackets. I have tried some Sierra jackets and they were pretty good. In my opinion and experience, they did not make as accurate bullets. I had a couple of other shooters test them as well, and the consensus was to stick with the J4 jackets. I tried the Sierra jackets during a j4 jacket shortage.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Supporting Member

Jim,
One fo the guy swe shoot with at Van Dyne is using Seirra jackets and doing quite well. Maybe new lot??

Mike